RCU Forums - View Single Post - YS 160DZ on a Hanger 9 .60 size mustang
Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: YS 160DZ on a Hanger 9 .60 size mustang

I once had a Great Planes .46 size P-51 with an O.S. 1.20 Surpass in it (midair, not any sort of structural failure). Lots of extra engine weight up front countered with making a hatch and installing all servos behind the trailing edge of the wing along with a fair amount of lead ballast just in front of the rudder inside the fuselage.

Now anyone who has ever flown a Great Planes P-51 knows that it has to be one of the sweetest flying P-51 models ever. I couldn't tell any difference at all in the flying and handling characteristics of this plane. Perhaps the only downside was the residual thrust at idle. The plane flys so well that it would glide a very long time before it would touch down.

A friend has the same airframe only he used a Y.S. 1.40 in his. His was set up the same as mine with the servos all behind the wing. This one was radared at 145mph. The residual thrust was greater on this one simply from the size of propeller needed for that engine. It was very hard to get this plane to land with the engine running. I helped him retrofit it with split flaps which solved the problem.

Both of these planes were like gliders with the engine not running, despite the additional weight. You will find the same is true on your project especially since your chosen airframe has a lot more wing area.

Both of the above planes were used in warbird pylon racing. It is difficult to comprehend a higher "G" turn than those made during a pylon race. Not the least sign of any kind of structural failure. No vibration problems. No firewall problems. Nothing at all.

There will always be a lot of nay sayers who have little or no experience with this sort of thing.