RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Kougar Build
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kougar Build

I'm still working on the hatch. Basically it's the canopy and the balsa deck, which I reinforced with fiberglass and epoxy....still very light, which will be attached to the fuse with small CF tubes and rare earth magnets. I have to figure out exactly where the battery pack will be located. I hope under the canopy... maybe a mistake on my part, but I will know today as I have to test fit the wing again and add some balsa fill strip to the wing saddle as well as a few other details. So at that point I will check for CG. As far as lightening holes, I do believe they make a difference as for every ounce removed from the tail, means 3 ounces less from the nose, but most modelers know this. I have done this before and actually had to add a little to the aft end. Dunno about this bird though. The wing, with all the hardware including aileron servo, linkage, ailerons and landing gear weighed 27 oz. Not bad considering the foam core and balsa sheeting.
Right now I'm shaping the wing tips. Glad I purchased some permagrit sanders as the coarse sander makes short work of this task. They weren't cheap but worth it.
I also plan to find a pilot and make up a cockpit with instruments, this weekend. I found a jet pilot at Hobby Lobby which seems to fit. All in all this has turned out to be a learning experience for me. As simple as this plane appears to be at first glance, there is more to it than one might think.
HAH, I may even add some missiles...now won't that look cool?
cheers jollyroger