RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fox Eagle 60 runs hot
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fox Eagle 60 runs hot

It is VERY likely that you are not setting the carb properly. As stated in a previous post you MUST set the low speed mixture first, unlike modern engines. This is because the low speed jet is always open, the high speed jet just adds to the total fuel mixture. If the low side is lean you will NEVER get the high side set, even with the high speed needle completely removed.

These are great engines, however many were ruined through improper carb adjustments before they really were broken in. This engine is very light and weighs as much as todays .46 engines but will really turn the lumber. It is indeed a screamer, especially on 25% nitro! You MUST add castor as previously stated. Mine is plenty strong on 10% Nitro. Use an 11 x 7 prop for break in then you can try a 12 x 6.

Be patient, this engine will take 2 gallons or so before it starts to break in. You may have to land a time or 2 during a flight to richen the high speed mixture to keep it from going lean as you burn off fuel. This will pass as the engine breaks in. I love Fox engines and every time I get a new one I become impatient and just about the time I'm ready to toss it in the junk box it starts to come alive. From that point on every flight is a little better than the last.

The good news is, it will likely last the rest of you life if run on the correct fuel.