RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 AM
David Ingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

Thanks Tri-pacer, Most of the damage is at the 4th station where it becomes lighter. If I can get it straight, it should not be as bad as I thought. Will need refitting and recovering. The wing is ok.
The electrics are really about twice as heavy as the engine, and maybe I can find lighter batteries. I do sort of wish I had stuck to the original size.
I think for the same stiffness in flight and crash survivability (for given speed) the structural weight goes like the volume, so the bigger an airplane (or bird) is the higher the wing loading and the higher the stall speed. [Did anyone ever hear of a 747 surviving a crash like a Gwillows ROG?] It is a matter of compromising with the available radio equipment and finding a suitable power source.
For my Flea Whiz, when my son was young, I scaled it up by the square root of two and substituted an 049 for an 020. With no sub-induction and a muffler, it is very mild mannered, as I hoped it would be. But I don't think it would survive much of a crash, as the slab-winged trainers do.