RCU Forums - View Single Post - DL-50 engine
Thread: DL-50 engine
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Coke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DL-50 engine

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Coke, Xjet - have you DONE the modification I'm suggesting to any props and run them?

I have done this a few times, when pressed by needs to use less-than-optimal propellers, and although there may be some stress/load redistribution in the hub, the ones I did sure didn't fail, either.

Not picking a fight, just trying to offer help to someone who was trying to prevent worse problems through hub compression while in use. (As a former ZDZ owner, I can tell you that that phenomenon DOES occur, and can be REALLY BAD when it happens in flight).

I'd be interested in some sort of a means to test the compression load distribution across the whole hub face before and after such a mod?

BTW - with softer hubs, torquing the screws to an appropriately "correct" value doesn't cut it....they will loosen nearly immediately when run, then they must be re-tightened, and that is where the circle starts.

Personally, the NX, Xoar, and PT Models hubs seem to be quite hard. The JXF that I have vary from prop to prop quite a bit.
Bob I have to say I have have not done the modification nor would I consider so doing, as I said in my post there's something amiss with the propellers and they should be consigned to the rubbish bin. Not only this if I read your post correctly you then go on to advocate overtightening of the propfixing(s) to alleviate the said problem. From all my time in engineering one should never cure one problem by creating reasons for another possible one with possibly a worse outcome. I too am not looking to pick a fight whatsoever but if I come across such a prop it goes in the bin or is used to light the fire or stir paint