RCU Forums - View Single Post - GrimRacer Surface Drive Strut & Rudder
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 01:54 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GrimRacer Surface Drive Strut & Rudder

I'm planning my project and looking at GrimRacer's strut and rudder that is used on the 27" Nitro SuperVee (.18 power).

I am also new to monohulls, both building and running. Would someone be able to tell me if this would be a good answer to what should be put on my boat?

The reason I ask is what performance I can expect. First of all the boat is an older, all wood design called a "Norco R/C Eaglet" and will be powered by a strong .21 engine. It is a shallow V design and planning on adding a right side turn fin and a removable Octura brass center skeg to help in the corners. If you look at the build pics, the bottom of the boat is just a large running pad, built like a ski, with the sides of the bottom being stepped up for less drag. I would guess the total vee angle is only about 7 degrees per side.

The transom area is quite small on this, and brackets will be crowded. Original plans call for a standard transom mounted sub-surface drive setup. Is a surface drive even a good idea for this boat?

Grim's hardware is quite nice looking being CNC machined and anodized, and is a reasonable cost and good availability compared to the others that are more expensive, race orientated Speedmaster or the like. I would also like to learn some of it's sizes such as flex and stub shaft size and threads. I use standard 1/8" bore Octura and Prather props. Sizes to start with would be great too!

I am hoping people will point out if it is a good idea or not before I go out, buy and build before I fiind out it was all the wrong idea. A non-stinger type setup option would be the strudder assembly from Octura which can be setup as a surface drive, but it is expensive and all heavy copper, and would have to move the strut to the rudder position on the bracket to be able to clear the nose of the strut, and still have to go with a seperate rudder and bracket.

Credit for the build pictures goes to Oldlugs who provided me help with templates and instructions. He provided me with an excellent project and greatly appreciate it....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19652.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	810010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28408.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	810011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18898.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.2 KB