RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 AM
markind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Mod under way

Hi guys thanks for all the great info!

My PSU is a fairly new Antec 550W and I have it running with all the un-needed wires cut short to the board, with nice banana jacks mounted in the case for 12V out, and one standard wire set with 5V and 12V available on that standard 4-pin Molex connector.

I have tested it with a 5 ohm dummy load across the 5V line, and my 10W sand bar resistor gets up to 190 deg. F. after a couple minutes.

Not a problem but the 12V out is only boosted to 12.06V under load. I was hoping to get 12.2ish.

Should I try for 3 ohm dummy load? With no dummy load, she runs just fine but only at 11.97V

I'll post up some pics when done. This one is neat and easy.

Edit:

Well I needed my 4 batteries charged so I hooked up the whole system with a DMM reading the 12V output and once the charger really got going, it drops to 11.89V

The sand bar 5 ohm resister got just under 200 deg. F. Not terrible but a bit too hot to handle.

This is boogers. I will try the 3 ohm dummy load to try to boost the 12V out.

End result: All 4 batteries went through the charge cycle fine but only 12.46V to 12.56V. I will 'top off' the packs before flying asI like to see 12.6V at launch. That's lame though. I want it right the first time!! [:@]