RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modeltech Magic Extra 300L
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 02:32 AM
LANIKAI_BOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Magic Extra 300L

tec
i have the magic its roughly around 4 lbs empty, i have standard servos hitec 300 the big 8 channel receiver and a jr 1000 mah battery. a 46 magnum with a macs one piece muffler and the 12.25x3.75 apc sport prop..it rolls no more than 20 feet and its off the ground.it goes vertical till my neck is tweaked.my plane hovers at 1/2 thorttle(i didnt look at my tx that closely but it felt like 1/2.lol) this setup allows me to 3d and pattern fly and it makes me look like a good pilot..its the plane ...not my skills..lol
now this is where it gets ugly...a 60 would be too much power...and too much weight..whoever the rocket scientist over at modeltech who designed this plane did a great job on the outside, it flies awesome if you can keep it in one piece.now for the inside..who ever desigen this aircraft was drunk or something..the stringer that comes from the rear of the fuse ends righ where the tank starts..the only thing holding up the tank and the motor is a thin sheet of balsa wood..not much strength for a full tank and a motor..yes i toqued the whole front end of my plane right off on a deadstick ladning(keep in mind that it was a bad call on my part i had a better option landing the thing) after careful inspection a buddy and i figured the stringer problem..we had some carbon fiber rods laying around...we drilled a hole beneath the stringer passed it through tank compartment and drilled the firewall and thats where the carbon fiber ends.. we secured the rods with fiber glass cloth and 30 minute epoxy..that took care of the inside...for the outside of the fuse we cut the monocote back approximately 1/2 way through the canopy along the sides of the fuse and epoxied thin ply from the motor all the way back to 1/2 way of the canopy..we sanded it and recovered it and the thing is very strong. although this sounds complicated we had the plane ready to fly the next day (took about 3 hours including time for the epoxy to set)
i love this plane and i would recomend it to anybody(i know i sound contradicting but anyone who owns one can tell you it flies great) it flies 3d and pattern very well. i wanted to share my heart aches in this message. anyone planning on buying this plane should do this fix b4 assembling the plane believe me its worth the effort..hope this helps