RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modeltech Magic Extra 300L
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 07:20 PM
TOMAPOWA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Extra mods...

I first have to say that this plane is a BLAST!
I also have a GP U-Can-Do 3D and still, I love flying this Extra over her. She's a bit more nimble and with an OS46, she'll do anything you want it to! I have standard 3004 BB servos all around. I also opted to connect the elevator halves with 4mm wire (epoxied) but still connected both elevator pushrods for strength. Unfortunately, you can not easily move the tank over the CG of this plane. Then again, even though the tank is forward of CG, it still hovers great! I get over 15min flights on the stock tank. I also replaced all stock clevises with Dubro 2-56 stuff. I also added flying wires connecting the hor/ver stabs, as these seem very flimsy (but light!). I simply used some leftover pull-pull (vinyl-coated) cable. I drilled four small holes (One in each elevator half and one in top/bottom of the rudder (close to hinge line). I fed the wire through the holes (joining the ends them at the bottom of the vert stab) and simply CA'd it in place, after tugging on them to get them tighten evenly.

You really can not beat this plane for the price ($109)! Complete Setup is cheap too! ($109=Engine, $114 Flightpack, $10 for Xtra Dubro parts). I often practice with this plane before I take the UCD up.

Now for the major downside of this plane (not many to mention):

Arrgg... The covering (what ever it is) is horrible. I found out the hard way that the covering is VERY LOW HEAT shrinkable. Using a heatgun will destroy it (trust me). I'm probably going to purchase another and recover (my choice of colors) the entire plane (i.e. 21st Century covering).

Nevertheless, this is my most enjoyable plane yet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73398_15604.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	41317