RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modeltech Magic Extra 300L
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2003, 02:34 PM
PilotFrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Extra Weight

For some of you that asked about the weight of this plane.
I took all of the components and weighted them on a digital lab scale.
This is the equipment I plan to use:
4 Hi Tech 225 mini BB servos...faster & stronger than std. size
I Futaba micro servo....(throttle)
I JR 700 micro receiver & switch harness
1 600 ma 2/3 AA 4.8 V pack
1 O.S .46 FX engine
1 Tower Hobbies tuned muffler for Tower .46
1 Magic Extra ARF

The model came in at a tad over 3 lbs. The engine, muffler and radio gear added an extra 1.7 lbs for a total weight of a little over 4.7 lbs. or around 75 oz. This is about 3 oz. more that the advertised weight of 4.5 lbs. Remember I am using mini radio gear which saves almost 5 oz over a standard size set up....8 oz vs. 13 oz. If I went with a AAA NiMHi pack and glass gear then I could probably get it around the stated 4.5 lb. with the present .46 FX or a TT .46 pro. If you decided to use something like the TT .42 or OS .40 or OS LA plain bearing engines then you would shave almost 4 oz or could get it around 4 1/4 lb with the mini radio gear.
But if you go with standard radio gear and a BB .46 engine you should expect your model to be right around 5 lbs. or 80 oz. dry. This is getting a bit on the heavy side and you need the power of a .46 like the FX or TT pro.
Yes, you could use something like the Irvine .53 or a .50 SX or a YS or Saito 4 stroke for even more if you feel the need but I believe this is overkill.
With the mini radio gear mine should do great at 4.5 to 4.7 lbs with the .46 FX on the tuned muffler. But one with a good TT .42 on a mousse can with mini radio and glass gear at 4 1/4 lbs should fly well also.......less weight is better than excessive power.
PilotFrog