RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monokote - not like it used to be
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote - not like it used to be

I'm currently covering a 33% Extra330L with monokote in a Red Bull Scheme. I absolutely must say that Monokote isn't near as good as it used to be - what's up with that? I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on this stuff on my current project and am getting very poor results. I started using monokote since I was 9 and I have confidently gotten spotless finishes using it in the past, however his is the first covered plane that I've done in quite a while. I don't think this is a 'batch' issue, as I've gotten 12 rolls of brand spanking new Monokote (from various LHS's), and it is all crap.

Symptoms:
1. Very Poor adhesion
2. Poor shrinkage - I am using metallics (Blue and Aluminum), but I almost need to shrink this stuff near the melting point in order to get this stuff to shrink.
3. Doesn't smell the same when finishing - perhaps not enough glue on the 'improved' stuff??

Now as a contrast - I happened to have an almost full roll from - get this - 1975. And the 'old less improved' stuff still shrinks perfectly and finishes the way I think it should.

What in the world did Topflite do to this once great product - and what can I do to get some of the 'original formula' Monokote?

I tried writing TopFlite well over a week ago - with absolutely no response from them - so I thought to try this forum.

Anybody else observed this?