Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Monokote - not like it used to be

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote - not like it used to be

I'm currently covering a 33% Extra330L with monokote in a Red Bull Scheme. I absolutely must say that Monokote isn't near as good as it used to be - what's up with that? I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on this stuff on my current project and am getting very poor results. I started using monokote since I was 9 and I have confidently gotten spotless finishes using it in the past, however his is the first covered plane that I've done in quite a while. I don't think this is a 'batch' issue, as I've gotten 12 rolls of brand spanking new Monokote (from various LHS's), and it is all crap.

Symptoms:
1. Very Poor adhesion
2. Poor shrinkage - I am using metallics (Blue and Aluminum), but I almost need to shrink this stuff near the melting point in order to get this stuff to shrink.
3. Doesn't smell the same when finishing - perhaps not enough glue on the 'improved' stuff??

Now as a contrast - I happened to have an almost full roll from - get this - 1975. And the 'old less improved' stuff still shrinks perfectly and finishes the way I think it should.

What in the world did Topflite do to this once great product - and what can I do to get some of the 'original formula' Monokote?

I tried writing TopFlite well over a week ago - with absolutely no response from them - so I thought to try this forum.

Anybody else observed this?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Monokote - not like it used to be

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...tm.htm#6455276
Have a look at KerryDel's MonoKote Red bull scheme.

What temperature are you using?

Dave Olson
Old 12-08-2007, 02:36 PM
coloradoz

I've tried all temps (that are practical). The 12 rolls (that I got this past summer) I got is hard to work with. I've tried practice pieces - just doesn't like to stick or shrink for that matter.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As we've said before:

As far as MonoKote is concerned, it has been going thorough quality assurance testing. All rolls received by your hobby retailer iare of the highest quality. There is no "old" stock at the Manufacturing/packaging facilities. As processes change to comply with EPA and CPSC regulations, formulations have changed. We have been continually-testing the product for performance. Current-production Monokote is as good as Monokote has ever been.

Anyone else who believes that they have bad material can also return it. Return what you have with a letter describing your reason for the return and we'll work with you.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
coloradoz

Bax, thanks for the reply (I truly do). I understand the party line, but I have to say with great respect that the new formulation is decidedly not "as good as it has ever been". I have been covering all kinds of models since the 1970's (at great risk of revealing my age), and I can assure you that this is not the product is used to be. As a consumer, I'm looking for solutions that work. Monokote was a known quantity to me and I have always gotten sparkling results in the past and I felt extremely comfortable using it. As I stated earlier, I have models from the 80's and 90's that I still fly where the Monokote has held up extremely well (and is still workable!) After a brief hiatus from the sport, I had - in recent years - done more work in Fiberglass models. Within the past 5 years or so, I returned to film covering. Within those years, I have tried Ultracoat with good results, but chose Monokote for my current project because of the colors that I needed - there in lies the rub. The difference in the new formulation and the old formulation is night and day. So with over, argh!, several decades of experience using Monokote I can say unequivocally that the new stuff does not yield the same result.

Bax, honestly I have closeups of models that I can send you that is indistinguishable from a painted finish! and the Monokote would bend AND STICK around impossible corners. I've tried using the 'new and improved' formulation and I'll say again that it simply does not perform as well. Now if there is a new 'trick' to using this stuff, I'm all ears.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i will jump in here to.i have been flying and building since age 9 in 196? and no matter what they(monocote) tells you bax it is far from the same as it used to be.it is crisper and does not shrink or sticks as good and the white is a pita to work with more so than the rest i think.ultracote might be softer but is is a heck of alot better to apply
Old 12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't alone or the first to think this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...onokote/tm.htm

I haven't used Monokote lately (been out of the hobby for a while), but there are lots of folks who have noticed a change over time. Too bad, as it was an excellent product when I used it in the past. I am now leery of trying it again for fear of the same issues biting me.

I sympathize with Top Flite on this, when the EPA says you have to change, you have no choice but to change or get shut down. And there are lots of products that have lost performance through re-formulation due to environmental regs. I hope they manage to resolve this, but it can be tough under new rules to meet the old standard.

Mark
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I've had the same experience..

I started building and flying back in 1985..
Took a 15 year break to have a family and now I'm back..
The new Monokote is brittle.. (never before have I put a thumb through the covering in cold weather)
The white does not shrink well.. You have to push it to the edge of melting to get a good shrink.

I've compared some old 1986 covering to the new stuff.. the 86' vintage just works better.