RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Models Kangaroo Modified
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Kangaroo Mods - Sheeting

well, Ive been picking away at various things, but I havent made a ton of solid progress. I decided to take a stab at making a fiberglass piece to be a gear door for the front. But when I went to get some fiberglass, both of the local places I knew carry it were out. So I decided to get creative... hehe

First I drew out the desired gear door, then stretched a piece of saran wrap over the whole area, making sure there were no wrinkles. Then I took a piece of really strong paper towel material (has some kind of cloth woven in) and cut it to size. I mixed up some regular 1 hour epoxy, and spread it really well into the cloth, squeegeing out the excess, then let cure for 24 hours.

Next I cleaned it with acetone really well (the epoxy releases some kind of paraffin right?) and did another layer with some strips of fine fiberglass cloth I found somewhere After this cured, I found that I had a nice thin piece of "fiberstuff" that is reasonably strong, but quite flexable.

Now the quandry is how to make a good gear door, or even IF ill make a door. any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85736.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	824620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58522.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	824621