RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hi all. Need some pointers.
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hi all. Need some pointers.

If he can handle a BUHOR and the H9 Pulse XT, he shouldn't have any trouble flying a Cap, Edge, or any of the other planes identified so far in this thread.

CAPs are a little harder to get into the post stall condition required for hovering. They have a strong tendency to tip stall and snap roll with large elevator movements. But this is what makes them popular for pattern and aerobatics. They will spin easily and on demand. I have the GP Cap 232 .40, and have rebuilt the plane three times because I wasn't ready for the snap or spin while on approach. Some people will tell you the Cap 232 is great for 3D, others will tell you the exact opposite.

The Edge 540 has a straight leading edge on the wing. Combine that with the airfoil design, the actual center of lift as you move out from the plane toward the wingtip actually produces a forward swept wing. This significantly reduces the tendency to tip stall, making the plane much easier to transition into the stall condition. I have the Fliton Edge 540 Freestyle, and because of the wing design, I can't get it to enter a spin without cheating. The Edges tend to be very popular for their 3D Capabilities.

I've only flown an Extra one time, and it wasn't my plane. I found it to be a very well behaved plane, and I'm looking to add one to my hanger. The Extras are extremely popular in the IMAC circles because of their predictable tendencies and ability to smoothly and easily perform just about any maneuver you want.

I seen, but never flown, the YAKs, and have been very impressed. It may have just been pilot skill, but these planes are also popular with the IMAC crowd, and for good reason I think.

Your RPM numbers on the 46 LA with the 11x4 are similar to what I get. For aerobatic and 3D flying, treat the 46 LA like a strong 25 or 32. Get a plane designed for that size engine, and the LA should do very well. Since its a bushing engine, it tends to be lighter than the BB 46's.

Good luck.
Brad