RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Right Thrust Really Needed For 3D
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is Right Thrust Really Needed For 3D

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Hey Bill, well one of the main reasons that right thrust is needed is because when flying upright but at a slight nose-high angle of attack (which is often), the right prop blade then has more pitch than the left prop blade, causing the plane to pull to the left.

Now when inverted..... and flying at a slightly nose high angle of attack, it is going to pull to the left like crazy because of the "backwards when inverted" right thrust (when upright) that is built in.

Of course the higher the angle of attack, the greater advantage (or disadvantage if inverted) right thrust will be in keeping tracking straight ahead without corrective rudder input.

Takeoffs do benefit from right thrust also because by nature, they are a nose high, or high angle of attack, type of situation where the right prop blade is seeing more pitch than the left side.

Make any sense yet?

Thanks,

Ernie
Thanks Ernie, I must be really dense today...DOH, you would think that after the amount of planes I have help trim for IMAC I would have been able to figure that out...Talk about feeling dumb....[sm=72_72.gif]