RCU Forums - View Single Post - How will it fly, what should I expect?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How will it fly, what should I expect?

Oddly enough you probably should have had the stabilizer on the other side. My thinking on this.... Up elevator will make it want to roll slightly to the left or more into the turn. That'll make it want to roll onto it's back and try to kiss Terra Firma. OK, so you mix in a little aileron so the left aileron is down and vice versa. But that means the left wing is producing more lift due to the aileron acting to increase the camber of the airfoil and also the angle of attack all at the same time. So the left wing is lifting more than the right. More lift brings with it more drag so the model has just exchanged rolling further into the turn for wanting to yaw towards the ground. Also you've got more drag on the left side than on the right thanks to the profile and induced drag of the stabilizer on the left. Again, it'll try to yaw towards the ground.

But if you were to put the stabilizer all or mostly on the right side and then trim in a little bit of aileron to counter the rolling couple as required then all the yawing would be helping to hold the model UP instead of trying to yaw it down. And if it was on the right it would be a tad more centered thanks to your fuselage offset so the rolling couple would be less and that means less aileron.

.... at least that's my musings on this.....