RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best Radio Box?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Best Radio Box?

ORIGINAL: CaptJohnT

Just want to hear opinions on the best radio box for my deep v. I will only need one throttle servey but I am not sure on the rudder servey. I will be running twin MH$ S6 drives. Any advice would help... Thanks
For twin stern drives you are going to need over 400oz/in of torque to turn. Basically you need two 1/4 scale servos. I use and recommend the 805bb Hitech servo/s which is around $40 a piece, comes with "Y" harness, and will deliver 343oz/in of torque at 6volts (with quick response).

Sure you could use less power (Servo torque) but you will drain your battery quicker, have less control, less response, more potential for issues etc. A servo working hard will not last long and will eat your battery life.

While the Pelican boxes are not a bad concept be sure you have fuel resistant gaskets, a purge valve, etc. Many of the cheaper clear boxes react badly with solvents so be advised to keep them clear of any cleaners. Spending all that money on the transom and power - you might consider spending a buck on a quality radio box. What hull is all this going into?

When linking your drives - consider mounting the crossbar above the designed (weak) mounting bracket. I have heard of several failures of this bracket that will allow the props to contact.

You might also consider running a pair of counter rotating Zenoahs from Bonzi instead of the inline motor. No benifit from having an inline then a gearbox to two drives when you could just use two motors and two drives.