RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cold start assist
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
R/Cpullerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start assist

The topic about cold weather starting has got me thinking about cold start assist systems, like glow plugs and intake heaters on full scale Diesels. I'm in PA, and we can see temps anywhere from -10 to 100*F in the course of a year. For this reason, I'm thinking a cold start assist would be useful. What about something like a normal glow plug in the intake air stream to heat the intake air a little? Probably wouldn't help much, but would help. You could put an ignitor on it while cranking the engine over in cold weather, so all the air going in goes by it first, heating it a small bit. Another solution would be a glow plug in the cylinder that could be hooked up a short while before cranking to heat the cylinder, and more importantly, the combustion chamber. Both of the systems I just outlined could be used at the same time too, so that the intake air would be warmed a bit, and going into a warm cylinder. All GP's used would have to be "hot" ones so they could actually do some good. Just something I had on my mind.