RCU Forums - View Single Post - I blew an engine
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I blew an engine

ORIGINAL: XJet

My TT61GP was one of my favorite engines and has provided two years of kick-ass performance on a 40-sized trainer that has been clocked at over 175Kph (110 mph) on the straight and level.

Now I'm no sissy-boy, I fly hard-out so this engine was fitted with a tuned pipe and propped to pull around 15,500 on the ground, unloading to about 16,500 in the air -- maybe a little more in those full-power vertical dives ;-)

Everyone who saw this engine run and saw the plane it was in fly could not believe just how much power it put out and were amazed to discover that it was only a plain-bearing .61 that cost $85 brand new.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and today the engine stopped unexpectedly and left me to perform a perfect dead-stick landing, the roll-out stopping at my feet.

I went to refuel the plane and noticed the engine wasn't its usual self -- offering some resistance to turning.

On close inspection I saw the damage shown in the attached pictures.

Yep, I split that baby right down the middle!

It's worth noting that this engine has never been crashed and has only ever been in the one airframe. The props were always well balanced and it was run on a diet of 5% nitro and 20% oil (the same hi-castor blend of oil Morgans uses in its Omega fuel).

I guess the TT61GP just isn't built to take this kind of punishment but I figure that I sure got my $85 worth of fun out of it. In fact, I'm going to buy another!

------------

If that is all of the damage that there is, why not replace the crankcase?

Ed Cregger