RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is anyone else concerned with the all RTR instant gratification trend?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is anyone else concerned with the all RTR instant gratification trend?

It seems that so many companies are ditching kits in favor or RTR cars and trucks. I don't care if they over RTR in addition to kits, but I feel that those of us who enjoy building our cars and trucks are getting shut out. The companies seem to be responding to a crowd of people who want instant gratification and don't want to put any work into it really. To me instant gratification is the antithesis of what the word hobby means. Without enjoying the process of building / working on, and actually learning about how these vehicles work on a more technical level, the only difference between these and toys is raw performance. Personally I feel that I get more for my money if I get to invest a few hours into building something. For example when I spent $850 on my Baja 5B SS kit, I spent a good 10+ hours building it, thats 10 hours of pleasure and entertainment I wouldn't have gotten with an RTR.

I know not everyone feels that way, just wondering if anyone on either side wants to share some thoughts on the subject.