RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tough time today/Experience beats Knowledge
Old 05-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tough time today/Experience beats Knowledge

Yeah...though,I've never played with a .46AX,2 turns is most likely not enough. I did read the manual and this is indeed what it calls for,but there's likely a chance you misjudged your turns or it simply should be further out. If it ran and you leaned it out and didnt hear a difference.....its either TOOO lean,or you got other problems(not likely). Chances are that if you had richened it to where you started from(preferable more),it would have started again. I'd bet a six pack your started was dead though. I always keep a spare glow plug in my tool box just to test my starter with by holding the plug in my fingers and sticking it into my started to see if it glows or not. And keep in mind,engine will almost ALWAYS spit fuel out the muffler not matter how rich or lean its set up.

As far as your engine being messed up for life and never performing again.......I would bet a whole case of beer what you did(possibly running it lean for a bit) wont hurt that motor a bit. I dont think it would hurt any modern motor(some guys will argue) a bit,not to mention your running an O.S. which are such good engines from the factory,most guys now days dont even break them in. I know the guys at my field dont(I do though). They put 'em in,and 5 minutes later there in the air. They might run them a tad rich for a flight or two,but not much. Even my O.S. instruction manuals say they dont really even need broke in.

I wouldnt think twice about any damage. Just richen that baby up,charge your starter and I'll bet she'll run like a champ! You'll get the hang of it.

.....oh,and do yourself a HUGE favor and get an electric starter! You'll find your engines will start 1000 quicker and easier. I've actually had planes laugh at me just thinking they'd start when I walked up to them carrying a chicken stick! lol