RCU Forums - View Single Post - Joining a club
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining a club

I am a beginner. I have spent months on this site, and have hours flying on a simulator, but just had my first day at the field flying my plane. I joined a local club; it was $36 for adult registration for the year (less if you're under 18, and even less if you don't have a plane and just want to use the club trainer), and AMA insurance is also required if you plan on flying your own plane (not required for flying the club plane on a buddy cord). This fee covers the cost of maintaining the field, and also covers a buddy box and whatever necessary cords to hook you up, and other miscellaneous expenses. As a member of the club, I am entitled to all the training I need on given nights of the week. Beyond this, being in a club gave me the opportunity to meet about 20 or 25 guys last night, all of who I really enjoyed chatting with, the chance to see all of their planes (they look totally different in real life than they do on the websites!), to see how they fly, etc. There were tons of guys who honestly wanted to help me out; some helped me tune my engine, some helped me go over the other parts of the plane to make sure it was safe, I had 2 trainers work with me (there were even more at the field). It was just a great experience. And like I said, I had 20 or 25 guys to shoot the breeze with about RC planes; I don't know anyone else who is in to this hobby around here, and probably would not have met anyone if it were not for the club. There are guys of all ages, from teenagers to college kids to young guys to retired guys, and they're all great. We have one meeting a month at the field to discuss politics, and being a member I am entitled to vote. There are even club events (fun flies where other clubs will show up/open to the public, indoor fun flies, block parties, etc.).

There is no reason not to join a club. There are hundreds all over the country, and judging from the kind people on this site to all of the guys in my club, you have a pretty good shot of finding good people to share a common interest and fly with.