Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Joining a club

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Joining a club

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining a club

I am a beginner. I have spent months on this site, and have hours flying on a simulator, but just had my first day at the field flying my plane. I joined a local club; it was $36 for adult registration for the year (less if you're under 18, and even less if you don't have a plane and just want to use the club trainer), and AMA insurance is also required if you plan on flying your own plane (not required for flying the club plane on a buddy cord). This fee covers the cost of maintaining the field, and also covers a buddy box and whatever necessary cords to hook you up, and other miscellaneous expenses. As a member of the club, I am entitled to all the training I need on given nights of the week. Beyond this, being in a club gave me the opportunity to meet about 20 or 25 guys last night, all of who I really enjoyed chatting with, the chance to see all of their planes (they look totally different in real life than they do on the websites!), to see how they fly, etc. There were tons of guys who honestly wanted to help me out; some helped me tune my engine, some helped me go over the other parts of the plane to make sure it was safe, I had 2 trainers work with me (there were even more at the field). It was just a great experience. And like I said, I had 20 or 25 guys to shoot the breeze with about RC planes; I don't know anyone else who is in to this hobby around here, and probably would not have met anyone if it were not for the club. There are guys of all ages, from teenagers to college kids to young guys to retired guys, and they're all great. We have one meeting a month at the field to discuss politics, and being a member I am entitled to vote. There are even club events (fun flies where other clubs will show up/open to the public, indoor fun flies, block parties, etc.).

There is no reason not to join a club. There are hundreds all over the country, and judging from the kind people on this site to all of the guys in my club, you have a pretty good shot of finding good people to share a common interest and fly with.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Joining a club

Well said.
When I joined a club I made a bunch of new friends and I very much enjoy their company. I have as much fun chatting with my new friends as I do flying. On occasion any one of us will show up at the field without an airplane just for the friendship.
And talk about making a new person welcome: When a new guy come to the field the guys that are there all gather around him wanting to help.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I resisted the club thing for a long time. I had heard it was nothing but a bunch of crabby old guys bickering. I flew at construction sites, country roads, wherever I could. I finally got sick of it and a nice runway and pit area sounded nice. I finally broke down and joined. Did I meet a few crabby old guys? Sure, there are a couple and even a gossipy drama queen or two. It's no different than any other gathering of individuals. Still the vast majority of the people I met were great. There are people of all ages and from all walks of life all with a common interest. I became a much better pilot too, unlearning a number of bad habits I had taught myself. When I hear people say they'd like to fly but don't want to join a club, I just shake my head. It is the absolute best way to go in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
jetmech05

whats in a club....a bunch of friends you haven't met yet
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying and talking with others that share your passion is half the fun!

That being said, I wish we had a few more young guys my age in our club. []
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Jetdesign

And talk about making a new person welcome: When a new guy come to the field the guys that are there all gather around him wanting to help.
This is exactly what happened to me; they talked to me, helped me get set up, cheered me on, and congratulated me when I landed.

If you are new, join a club. Trust me, it's worth it and you will love it.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

Flying and talking with others that share your passion is half the fun!

That being said, I wish we had a few more young guys my age in our club. []
Most of the guys your age are at home watching Hanna Montana instead of flying RC.

(Don't worry all, Nathan will get me back for that.)

While I enjoy our gangrenous gang of griping geezers and often find them quite amusing, I've been doing my best to recruit friends and acquaintances that aren't yet on Alzheimer's medication to join the club.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM
solace67

I too was a little hesitant to join a club, but I figured it would be the best thing for me to do. I still haven't joined the club yet (Slow AMA Card mailing ) but have stopped by the flying field on numerous occasions and Everyone I've met has always been quick to offer advice, show me planes or just chat about flying. It's been a great experience and I'm not even official yet

Cheers,
Derek
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

The club experience is, in essence, what YOU make of it. Sounds like the original poster is off to a good start!

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in Calif. I belonged to two clubs and flew at A lot of different fields, even flew some events at ChuckWs field. For the most part it was usually A lot of fun. After I moved to NV I found A couple of clubs but none of them owned or have control of there fields. Each club only puts on one or two events A year and nothing I wanted to get involved in so I haven't joined any of them. I have hopes of finding A club in the future that is maybe into fun flys and IMAA events close to home but so far nothing.
Enjoy your club, I sure miss my two.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
ChuckW

Graybeard, you going to come back to California for the IMAA event at Chowchilla later this month? I'll probably be there at least one day. I flew in our local IMAA fly-in this past weekend and had a great time even though I had a rough day.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I resisted the club thing for a long time. I had heard it was nothing but a bunch of crabby old guys bickering. I flew at construction sites, country roads, wherever I could. I finally got sick of it and a nice runway and pit area sounded nice. I finally broke down and joined. Did I meet a few crabby old guys? Sure, there are a couple and even a gossipy drama queen or two. It's no different than any other gathering of individuals. Still the vast majority of the people I met were great. There are people of all ages and from all walks of life all with a common interest. I became a much better pilot too, unlearning a number of bad habits I had taught myself. When I hear people say they'd like to fly but don't want to join a club, I just shake my head. It is the absolute best way to go in my opinion.
There are three or four niche groups within any club I've been a member of: The young rebels, the old crabs, the pattern elite and the warbird hippies.

Sub-groups may further faction electric vs. real models ( ) and competititive (pattern, pylon, scale) vs. "just happy to be off the ground" personality types.

As mentioned above there are 90% great buds and fun guys in a club and 10% that get on your nerves no matter who you are. Probably 60% of the guys in my club are members of other clubs in the area. For quite a while I was a member of two. You find one that fits and it is a great thing.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: FatOrangeKat

This is exactly what happened to me; they talked to me, helped me get set up, cheered me on, and congratulated me when I landed.

If you are new, join a club. Trust me, it's worth it and you will love it.
It's quite a rush when you solo and your club members give you a round of applause and hoorays as you bring your plane in.

This "tops off" the experience.

We've all taken to doing this, and trying to go out of our way to help newbies out.

There are always differences of opinions, but if everyone seems to get along at the meetings, you've probably found a good mix of people.

Joining in on club activities, also puts you into the main circles with great speed.

Congrats!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck, The Central Velley Modelers was one of my clubs and I worked the Castle show for years. I was supposed to work last years show but I said if the gas prices hit to high I couldn't do it. It's over 4 bucks A gallon this year and A 7 hour drive so no I won't be making it. Just the food and lodging now is out of reach and sleeping in my van for four days is way over kill on my body.
No IMAA here at all in my area. I pulled my engine and gear out of my last surviving giant and stuck it in A nice stunt plane because it was too much trouble to haul out A big bipe just for A day of flying.
We do have A club at the north field here that puts on one very good IMAC contest every year and the other club at Bennett field has A 3-d and Electric show. I try to always make it to the IMAC.
NO BIG VENDERS though like Castle had, I sure miss the deals. Plus the auctions we had at the Merced club every year, sometimes A couple A year. Racing, Fun Flys.
And I loved flying at the Fresno Club, good events and one of the better sites I have ever been to.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Jetdesign

Update:

I had my first real crash the a couple of days ago. I knew there would be some kind of real damage before I even saw the plane. I called out 'on the field', ran and got my plane, and by the time I got back to the pits there were at least 3 guys with glue, tape, forceps, everything I needed to get my plane fixed and in the air again. I didn't even have to ask. I don't know if it's just my club, but I couldn't find a better group of guys, but judging from most of what I read here, it seems to be the same everywhere (there was a recent thread to send, for free, enough gear to get a guy going who crashed his plane on first flight).

Join a club! [8D]
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
snacker

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

When I was in Calif. I belonged to two clubs and flew at A lot of different fields, even flew some events at ChuckWs field. For the most part it was usually A lot of fun. After I moved to NV I found A couple of clubs but none of them owned or have control of there fields. Each club only puts on one or two events A year and nothing I wanted to get involved in so I haven't joined any of them. I have hopes of finding A club in the future that is maybe into fun flys and IMAA events close to home but so far nothing.
Enjoy your club, I sure miss my two.
I haven't joined either. I've thought about one club, but I never hear about anything when out at Bill Bennet field. I think they have a TOC sometime.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Nathan King

Update:

I had my first real crash the a couple of days ago. I knew there would be some kind of real damage before I even saw the plane. I called out 'on the field', ran and got my plane, and by the time I got back to the pits there were at least 3 guys with glue, tape, forceps, everything I needed to get my plane fixed and in the air again. I didn't even have to ask. I don't know if it's just my club, but I couldn't find a better group of guys, but judging from most of what I read here, it seems to be the same everywhere (there was a recent thread to send, for free, enough gear to get a guy going who crashed his plane on first flight).

Join a club! [8D]
It's not just your club. I've never seen a hobby filled with a better group of guys! There are jerks, but the number is very disproportionate to what is found out 'in the wild.'
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
rctrax

That old saw about the AMA being slow to mail licisnce is nothing but a poor excuse since upon request [I think]they will send a confirmation by email[to be printed out as proof for club menberspip] imeadeatly
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Jetdesign

I got an e-card to use the day I talked to them. Real card will come in the mail, but at least I have something to put on the board at the field
Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Adui

Update:

Join a club! [8D]
Trust me, its not just your club. My first day out after soloing, I was having issues. Then, my TX antenna broke! just pulled apart. EVERY PERSON THERE checked there kits and spare radios to see if one of theres would fit my TX. Since I run JR none did, but it was the thought. When we found this fact out, they helped me patch it back together so I could fly that day, including aiding me in a longer than usual range check to be sure it was safe!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: solace67

I still haven't joined the club yet (Slow AMA Card mailing)..............

Cheers,
Derek
Derek, call AMA and they'll give you your member number over the phone. Then go to the member verification tool and put in your number and last name.
www.modelaircraft.org

I zapped my info but here are screen captures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39315.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	950495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36854.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	950496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65813.jpg