RCU Forums - View Single Post - Joining a club
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Joining a club

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I resisted the club thing for a long time. I had heard it was nothing but a bunch of crabby old guys bickering. I flew at construction sites, country roads, wherever I could. I finally got sick of it and a nice runway and pit area sounded nice. I finally broke down and joined. Did I meet a few crabby old guys? Sure, there are a couple and even a gossipy drama queen or two. It's no different than any other gathering of individuals. Still the vast majority of the people I met were great. There are people of all ages and from all walks of life all with a common interest. I became a much better pilot too, unlearning a number of bad habits I had taught myself. When I hear people say they'd like to fly but don't want to join a club, I just shake my head. It is the absolute best way to go in my opinion.
There are three or four niche groups within any club I've been a member of: The young rebels, the old crabs, the pattern elite and the warbird hippies.

Sub-groups may further faction electric vs. real models ( ) and competititive (pattern, pylon, scale) vs. "just happy to be off the ground" personality types.

As mentioned above there are 90% great buds and fun guys in a club and 10% that get on your nerves no matter who you are. Probably 60% of the guys in my club are members of other clubs in the area. For quite a while I was a member of two. You find one that fits and it is a great thing.