RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 05-26-2008, 06:30 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Bob, Looks pretty good, but could be better. Maybe CJ will start making sets specically for this bird, that are just like your's only with shorter struts? Looks like they could be 1/4 ~ 1/2" shorter? Think you could shorten them some? Sure would be nice to see some slightly bigger wheels in there. BTW: I am now committed to using the stock retracts with RoboStruts installed, I hope I don't regret that decision. By doing so, I am limited to wheels which are just under 3 1/2".

As for the wheel poking out of the well: I noticed that the retract mount rails are not parallel with the bottom of the wing, and are at least partly responsible for the problem. I plan on using the stock retracts, but with the struts shortened (3/4" off the tops) and reversed so that the strut coils move the struts DEEPER into the wheel wells, rather that farther out. I plan to install offset RoboStruts on the stock, but shortened wire struts, just below the coils. This should result in something very simular to your's. BUT, if the wheels are poking out of the wells, I plan to use a Ernst motor thrust offset plate, cut into 4 strips and install between the retract units and the retract rails, so that the gears units will be parallel to the bottom of the wings, and hopefully allow FULL retraction.

My RoboStruts will arrive on Tuesday, I'll be working 12 hour days again, so I probably won't have any results to post until at least Wed. evening.
BTW: my Robart retractable nosewheel with 1/8" diameter strut arrives same day (which I plan on converting to retractable tailwheel). Too bad they didn't arrive before this weekend: I finally have a little time to work on it but I don't have the parts I need.

Speaking of retractable tailwheel: there are not any good/ easy options. The Robarts are not really well suited for this bird, niether is the CenturyJet mechanical tailwheel which is supposedly a P-51 retract. For one thing: the Mustang tailwheel retrafts FORWARD into the fuselage, not to the rear. This has me looking at mechanical nosewheel retracts designed to '.25 ~ .40 size' planes, and which I hope to adapt a Sullivan sprung tailwhhel strut to. Currently, I have B&D unit which I picked up at the Toledo show for $20. It houses a 1/8" diameter strut and has a steering arm which can easily be set up for pull-pull operation. I just checked the Robart specs and it appears that their unit is slightly bigger, and does not included an arm which can be set up for pull-pull.
Now, I just spotted this one, and would like to know more about it (dimension/ strut diameter):
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN159
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...cat=691&page=1

The price is ceratinly right, and it does have an arm which can be set up for pull-pull. Anybody have one that can post some specs?