RCU Forums - View Single Post - best starter for the money
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Spaceteach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best starter for the money

If it were me, I'd just get the Esky Honeybee Fixed Pitch. The FP can be flown in garages or outside if there is not much wind and when you crash, the repairs are a lot cheaper, easier, and less frequent than the collective pitch helis. I have both the King and Fixed Pitch ( and a few others). I fly the FP a lot more than the King since crashes with the King always require repair parts and time, while most FP crashes just mean you need to set the heli back on the skids and take off again (Don't get me wrong, you will sometimes break parts on the FP, but no where near as often as the others and the FP parts are a LOT cheaper). As you improve, you will probably get a 3D collective pitch heli, but most folks that do still keep the FP and continue to fly it.
There a a lot of places selling the Honeybee FP these days. Personally, I get all my stuff at KA-PLANES because I like their overall customer service and prices. The FPs I got from KA-Planes came with a simulator (a cable that connects the FP's transmitter to a computer USB port and a disk with flight sim software). I've never used it since I have the Real Flight simulator, but I loaned it to a friend and he said it worked fine.
The FP RTF sells for a little under $100. You would probably also want a LiPo battery and balance charger (lighter weight and longer flight times than the battery that comes with the kit). The LiPo would also require some modding to the frame to get the battery far enough forward in the frame to balance the heli. You can find all kinds of ways to do this on the Honeybee FP threads on the forums (the one I use is the Honeybee CP battery holder and some 2mm carbon rods on the front of the landing gear).

All the other folks that have answered you have given you excellent advise. This is just what works for me.

Hope this helps,
Bob