Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

best starter for the money

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

best starter for the money

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
bassking511

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best starter for the money

im looking for a begginer-intermediate heli, you know, something i can learn on but not need to immediately upgrade. i want to keep this cheap, since this is my first experience with helis and dont want to go overboard. unfortunately my budget is very small($150) but ive seen that it might be enough for what i need. ive read around and here is what i know

1) i want electric(for starter and $$ purposes)
2)stay away from Walkera stuff
3)E-sky seems to be reputable and good quality

i lack a little knowledge wit the true electric aspect, although i do have some experience with nitro R/C(i have a Cen AMgnum NX and a Traxxas T-maxx 2.5)

i know the higher the mah, the more power available, and Li-Po are supposedly superior.

any advice on
battery types?
starter models?
fixed or changable pitch(sorry, lack of vocab)

basically..BEST MODEL for 150( its possible to go higher, but not a whole lot more $$$)

thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
FMB42

Default RE: best starter for the money

Welcome to RCU bassking,

Consider the Esky Lama V3-V4 or the fixed pitch Esky heli for a starters. The V3-4 helicopters are coax or "dual rotor" designs that are good for "in house" flight. The Esky FP (fixed pitch) heli is best suited for "in garage" flight and can be flown outdoors as long as there is NO wind. These helicopters come with LiPo batteries IIRC.

Also consider the following suggestions for new RC heli pilots;

1. SIM (Esky offers a SIM kit # EK2-0905A for about $20).
2. Setup (be sure to search the forums for preflight setup tips as this is critical for successful flight. Also consider training gear).
3. Practice (makes perfect as you well know from your RC vehicle experience).
4. Patience (give yourself time to learn).

Good luck and good flying!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM
neweheliflyer

The Esky Fp is good to start. [link=http://www.linknety.com]Video here[/link]
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
bassking511

actually in not rele new to RCU, just a new account....only new to helis,.lol but

i want to be able to fly this outside if possible....

how about the E-sky HONEY BEE CP2 ???
Old 06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Dzaken2800

ORIGINAL: bassking511

actually in not rele new to RCU, just a new account....only new to helis,.lol but

i want to be able to fly this outside if possible....

how about the E-sky HONEY BEE CP2 ???
What ever you do don't get the Honey Bee CP2. If you get it, then all you are gonna have is problems. It is a tail motor heli and you should avoid tail motor helis.
If you want something stable that can fly outside, then get the Honey Bee King 2. It's a great heli with a belt-driven tail which is much better than a tail motor.
You can get it at JagHobbies for $150 here: http://www.jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/ek1h-e016a.htm
Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
FMB42

Ya, go with the HBK2 if you want a mostly outdoor heli. You will eventually want to up grade to a brushless motor and ESC on the HBK2 and people, IIRC, seem to like a Kv3800 BL motor w/25 amp BL ESC with these units (this upgrade will start at about $40 or so not including a larger Lipo batt with a greater Mah rating). I change out the tail and main motors (due to worn out brushes) on my Blade CP every 15 hours or so and this runs me $20, so spending the extra money on a BL motor and ESC is not really that bad in the long run. I'm getting tired of changing motors and am now looking in to a BL motor heli with a belt or shaft drive tail rotor.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:35 PM
derrickk

hi,

im trying to figure out which battery to buy... the 1800 or the 1500 OR ?? ushobbysupply has them at good prices i think.

I HAVE A HBK2

Danlions DH450 3200kv Brushless motor
A Dynam 35 amp brushless speed control with swithcing BEC

does it matter which battery?

thank you,
derrick
Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
tamagooch

if you are looking at getting the honey bee king 2 then visit rc711.com i just ordered one from them, good price 128.00USD and cheap shipping
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Spaceteach

If it were me, I'd just get the Esky Honeybee Fixed Pitch. The FP can be flown in garages or outside if there is not much wind and when you crash, the repairs are a lot cheaper, easier, and less frequent than the collective pitch helis. I have both the King and Fixed Pitch ( and a few others). I fly the FP a lot more than the King since crashes with the King always require repair parts and time, while most FP crashes just mean you need to set the heli back on the skids and take off again (Don't get me wrong, you will sometimes break parts on the FP, but no where near as often as the others and the FP parts are a LOT cheaper). As you improve, you will probably get a 3D collective pitch heli, but most folks that do still keep the FP and continue to fly it.
There a a lot of places selling the Honeybee FP these days. Personally, I get all my stuff at KA-PLANES because I like their overall customer service and prices. The FPs I got from KA-Planes came with a simulator (a cable that connects the FP's transmitter to a computer USB port and a disk with flight sim software). I've never used it since I have the Real Flight simulator, but I loaned it to a friend and he said it worked fine.
The FP RTF sells for a little under $100. You would probably also want a LiPo battery and balance charger (lighter weight and longer flight times than the battery that comes with the kit). The LiPo would also require some modding to the frame to get the battery far enough forward in the frame to balance the heli. You can find all kinds of ways to do this on the Honeybee FP threads on the forums (the one I use is the Honeybee CP battery holder and some 2mm carbon rods on the front of the landing gear).

All the other folks that have answered you have given you excellent advise. This is just what works for me.

Hope this helps,
Bob