Thread: Wavers?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wavers?

ORIGINAL: rcpete2

At what point do you decide not to waver someone?
Simple test for me - if I would not be willing to be out on the flightline flying my own aircraft at the same time as the applicant flies his turbine solo, then I will not sign off on that guy's waiver app.

I don't care what has been said here in the past by some of the JPO officials about "If you can manage to do the things that are listed in http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/510-D.pdf then no-one has the right to ask for anything more" ... the test decription is so minimal nowadays that for it to have any value you HAVE to add interpretation to it. Ilona has always stated that the test descriptions are a starting point only, and that we are entitled to expand on the test if and when we feel it necessary.

So, for instance, if someone does a reverse half cuban eight as one of his "combined looping & rolling maneuvers" and performs the entire maneuver at full throttle and using max elevator, then I will want to see some additional demonstration that the guy actually knows how to do something other than just violent yank & bank, and that he knows how to manage his throttle better.

Same with the "landing must be completed on the runway" requirement ... if we're flying from someplace like Crow's Landing, with something like a 250ft wide by 8000 ft long runway, then I'm gonna require some better control of where the landing is than that it managed to "finish on the runway".

If anyone disagrees with my right to extend the test when I see something that I deem questionable, then they are fully entitled to go find someone else to sign them off instead.

Gordon