RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old Sterling films/plates found
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Old Sterling films/plates found

ORIGINAL: Sir Crashalot

Steve

I think what you have is valuable. But mostly from a historic stand point. The film you have, “flats” as they are called, were used to “burn” to an offset plate using a powerful UV light. A process that is now seldom used by most printing companies. A digital process is now the standard, and film is no longer used. So it will be difficult at best, to utilize these films. Also, these plates were made to run off thousands of prints. One or two copies for personal use would be cost prohibitive as these would require large format printing presses. Having said all that,.... Please do not throw anything away. What you have in hand is a large part of our R/C heritage. Something that I hope can be saved. I don’t know what prices you are asking, but I would interested in the plans. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of $$$$. Have been laid-off for more than two years now, due to this bad economy. I think Scar’s suggestion of contacting the AMA is a good idea. That would be best for all. However, ebay would give people a chance to save what their budgets would allow.

Thanks
All true most of these items are not much of real use to most unless you knew someone who would run off a few copies as a favor.

As for the "plans" a major portion of what Sterling offered in their kits did not show all parts flat and full sized. This means that one could use the parts that are shown full size and would have to "fake" the rest. This is especiallt true of the half A model controlliners that might show just the profile of the fuse, but one would have to guess at the wing outline.
Some of the early models may show all parts full size. I do not know which ones.

Robert