RCU Forums - View Single Post - Li-Po for Newbs
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-Po for Newbs

As far as how to treat it, yes it's a good idea to run a "form" charge on lipo's, 0.5C charge 2C discharge for 3 cycles, and allow the pack to cool down between cycles to something like 80F

You can run it down about 80%. I shoot for a resting nominal voltage, so that means on a 4s pack, I would shoot for an 14.8v reading after the battery has rested for a min or two after your flight. Max discharge is like 3.0v/cell under load (so 12v in your case), there are all sorts of meters that make sounds or blink or throttle your ESC ect.

Recharge at a max of 1C or 3.2A for your battery. Watch the temps and keep the pack below 90F while charging =) A slower charge on the pack may make it last longer (but then again it may not really make a difference), something like 0.5C to 0.7C. If you put more than about 2.7Ah in your pack, then you've likely drained it too far.

Make sure to balance the pack atleast every 4 or 5 flights. I prefer to just do it every time. Some go 30 or 40 flights before they balance, I see that as being more risk than I want to take, especially with how easy balancing is.

try rcbatteryclinic.com

welcome to RCU =)