RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to find Speed?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to find Speed?

ORIGINAL: dsales

ORIGINAL: calvino

ORIGINAL: nissanlove

is it inches/seconds?
that would work to
are you sure about that?

The official units are:

Speed = m/s (metres/second)

Distace = m (metres)

Time = s (seconds)

ahh, it was the 1st thing i learned in physics...
In the US, we use the British Imperial system (feet, seconds, pound mass). Funny, we dont call it the British Imperial system, we now wrongly call it the "Standard" or "American Standard" system, even though the foot was actually based off of old England's King Henry the 1st (or at least the legend goes). So, it is very funny that the British now use the Napoleonic SI instead of their own British Imperial system. Again, more historical irony, King Lewis (Louis en Francias ) the 16th who made metric system the standard French measurement was killed. The French Republic kept the system, and due to Napoleon's influence, the metric system became the SI and was sperad all over Europe.

Personally, I prefer to calculate most things in SI, speed, as in this discussion, becomes very easy to convert from Km/hr from m/s and so forth. I can even do it mentally without the aid of a pencil & paper. In the British Imperial system, it is much harder, converting from ft/s to mi/hr is much harder. There are 12 stupid inches in a foot (Why cannot it be TEN inches per foot?). King Henry ole #1 should have had his foot cut off by the toes! Then, feet would be much more easier to work with because there would be 10inches to a Henry foot! Worse, there are 5280 surveyed feet in a statute mile! They should have made a concept of a kilo foot, or at least a kilo yard. That way converting from ft/s to mi/hr would be much easier.

Sorry for the rant, this is my beef with the British Imperial system when calculating speeds. I like to do things mentally, but because of the Brit Imp system not being divisible by ten, I have to resort to a calculator, spreadsheet, etc when converting ft/s to mi/hr (or even yd/s to mi/hr)