RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heli's are hard, I give up.
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 AM
veralee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli's are hard, I give up.

so it is normal for the heli to tilt to the side of the tail rotor to componsate fot the drift
It depends only on the direction the main blades rotate; it doesn't matter which side the tail rotor is mounted on or which way the tail blades rotate. If the main blades rotate clockwise then torque is gonna spin the hei left, and to stop that the tail blades have to blow air toward the right. When that thrust balances the torque the spin stops, but now we have a blast of air going to the right, which moves the entire heli left. To stop that the heli has to tilt right.

any tips on reverse orientation
I use the 'in it' method. Imagine being in the heli. The right side of the heli is always on the... right side of the heli, unless you've had a really bad wreck.
Right cyclic stick, for example, tilts the heli toward its right. If I was in it, then that would also be my right. If I can tell which way the nose of the heli is pointed, then I ought to be able to tell which way the right side of the heli is pointed, and if I want to go that way then right stick is the answer. Eventually, it's a matter of conditioned response, but to help speed that up, for me, it helped to think about it as if I'm in the heli.