RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help ! Ys170Dz won't strat
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 PM
mjfrederick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help ! Ys170Dz won't strat

1/2 turn is a huge adjustment on the pump, go in 1/8 increments. Also, I didn't see anywhere in there where you tried replacing the glow plug. I'd try that before adjusting the pump. Make sure you have a strong, brand-new OS type F glow plug, or a YS glow plug (they're the same product). If you don't have a spare, or don't want to try that route, leave the glow driver on the engine until it comes up to temperature. There's no way to really know if things are working properly (or if it's just a bad plug) until the engine is at operating temps. Also, don't leave the engine sitting with the ability for fuel to flow into it. By this I mean, if you leave fuel in the tank make sure to cut off fuel flow to the engine while it's not operating or you're not trying to start it. It sounds like it may be as simple as the engine being flooded prior to attempting to start the engine. If the DZ doesn't start quickly, it's very easy to flood it because regardless of whether or not it's running the pump will continue to fill the cylinder. That's why on my planes I prefer to have the fuel feed line come outside the fuse through a couple of elbows before going into the engine. This way I can watch the fuel flow on the first start of the day. If it doesn't start when I expect it to, I know something is wrong. I had gotten so good with the timing on my 140 DZ that I could say "Now" while turning over the engine at the very same time my engine started. Once you get used to this engine it will be the best engine you've ever run, but it can be a real bear to try and get going for the first few runs. If you find that you're flooded, try removing the glow plug and disconnect the fuel line going to the engine, then turn the engine over until fuel stops spurting out the plug hole (to a point, it will never be dry). Put the plug back in, and start over. Again, keep us posted! Also, D-Mac, you can come out the corner now...