RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flaps vs flapperons
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 AM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flaps vs flapperons

Everything flyer said........And you won't stick a wing in the dirt as fast with inboard flaps an you would with flapperons. Has to do with the whole wash out thing flyer was talking about..........On a closeing note....I notice lots of people crank the flaps down an kill the power then wonder why they have a fresh used kit on the field. Seen it three times by younger pilots. Sure you want to slow it down. But you also make a ton of drag

I may be way off base by saying this:But there is an art to useing flaps properly. Guy with a Baron 58 jumps on 45 degrees of flaps at 3/4 throttle an can't understand why his model changes course twards the moon. The guy lands like a missle now. Never trys the flaps anymore.

Then there is the older guy that has a top flight P-51 with a Brisson 3.2 an he hits some of the best landings I have ever seen at about half throttle. Pulls the power back lets it float then stage 1. 15-dgrees adds a little power. In his turn to final he adds 40 degrees an jumps on the power,Then the rest is just mind numbing. Looks great...

He also flew a MD-11 for fed-ex. Said fully configured for landing(flaps, slats,gear) at 170mph the fuel flow setting was the same as at altitude for 525mph........FLAPS NEED POWER. Keep that in mind an happy crashing..