Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flaps vs flapperons

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaps vs flapperons

Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM
twpetry
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps vs flapperons

Which is better? Actual flaps or programming your airleons to be flapperons .

Thanks, Tom
Old 09-20-2008, 12:49 AM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flaps vs flapperons

Seperate inboard flaps have some advantages over flaperons, such as being more stable (washout effect), you retain all your aileron deflection (no mixing with flaps using up part of the aileron deflection), and being realistic for scale applications. An advantage of flaperons might be the convenience in setup (with servos mounted to each aileron, no extra servo mounting or linkages, just plug each servo into aileron and flap channel, turn on the flaperon mix and tweak with a computer Tx).
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 AM
masonman

Everything flyer said........And you won't stick a wing in the dirt as fast with inboard flaps an you would with flapperons. Has to do with the whole wash out thing flyer was talking about..........On a closeing note....I notice lots of people crank the flaps down an kill the power then wonder why they have a fresh used kit on the field. Seen it three times by younger pilots. Sure you want to slow it down. But you also make a ton of drag

I may be way off base by saying this:But there is an art to useing flaps properly. Guy with a Baron 58 jumps on 45 degrees of flaps at 3/4 throttle an can't understand why his model changes course twards the moon. The guy lands like a missle now. Never trys the flaps anymore.

Then there is the older guy that has a top flight P-51 with a Brisson 3.2 an he hits some of the best landings I have ever seen at about half throttle. Pulls the power back lets it float then stage 1. 15-dgrees adds a little power. In his turn to final he adds 40 degrees an jumps on the power,Then the rest is just mind numbing. Looks great...

He also flew a MD-11 for fed-ex. Said fully configured for landing(flaps, slats,gear) at 170mph the fuel flow setting was the same as at altitude for 525mph........FLAPS NEED POWER. Keep that in mind an happy crashing..
Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 AM
jetmech05

flaps sure do need power.....the function of flaps is to increase lift at lower airspeeds.....not to increase lift at lower power settings...look at all that surface that gets put into the airstream.....
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
TedMo

As other replies indicate either will work but both need finese to use. Whichever you choose they will require some mixing; at the very least with elevator. Do your practise high it will take some adjustments to get them set properly.