RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth
Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Hello Ed, nice to have your post in my thread,

When Ed did built his first Taurus he just has to calculate the wanted location of the CG just like I did.
His configuration was clear after his first fiasco in 1961. No more up-side-down motor but back to the Orion and one big step to a tricycle gear with short nose and long tailmoment..

There is only one configuration for a short nose with vertical mounted motor I think!
Battery beneath the tank and motor/carb level on centre of the fuel tank. See picture 2
So motor in lowest possible position and tank in highest possible position.

Maybe he did first calculate the complete tail and then the needed length of the nose to get the balance (sum of {distance to CG * weight} of every part) . What he could do to reduce the weight of the relative long tail was laying the bottom line of the tail cone as high as possible. Much higher than the bottom line of the nose, battery compartment.

What I did explain in the thread of Ed Kazmirski's Taurus is the wing of a tricycle plane can be mounted on "no" angle in the fuselage so a higher bottomline of the tailcone is simple possible.

When you design your own airplane the balance is not the problem, problem is the accuracy of calculation and estimate from uncertain factors like materials, covering and painting.
We must remember Ed did design the Orion before so every detail of the weight and moment calculations he already did know.

Biggest problem he could have is tail heavy of the Taurus during or after building because than you have to ad too much weight in the (short) nose .
A pro of his design is the accessibility of the battery which is possible because of the lack/absence of dowels inside the fuse near the wing LE.
And the 8 oz tank? Maybe he did use a 6 oz for his 0.40! And maybe also there was more “bulkhead” in the front before!.
The tank we see in the fuselage of Duane is nearly as wide as the fuselage inside, I can use some more length and keep the formers because of the modern radio equipment.

Duane:
>>
Your building techniques are first-rate
>>

Not all, look at the picture, after the computer did his work, all handicraft.
Cees

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88668.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	1036620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63890.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1036621