RCU Forums - View Single Post - A good 1/10 Racing Buggy chassis [ELECTRIC]...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Stampers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good 1/10 Racing Buggy chassis [ELECTRIC]...

Hello all!

Ok, well as you can all see, im quite new to the RC'ing scene so dont flame me or assume "here's another newbie who doesnt know what he's on about". Because frankly i dont really know much. I have been doing a little research, but not enough to the standards that most of you guys know. Hence why im asking for opinions!

Anyway, down to the jist of this...

Here's what im currently running...

Chassis - Tamiya Rising Storm DF-02
Motor - Mabuchi RS540-SH (standard kit motor)
ESC - Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC
Radio - ACOMS Techniplus AR-2 27mhz 2 Channel on band 3
Batteries - Venom Ni-Cad 1800 7.2v
Wheels - HPI Wheelie Kings 2.2"
Tyres - Pro-Line Street Hawgs 2.2"
No Hop-ups at all. All standard kit other than wheels and tyres.

I alternate the wheels every now and then to the standard DF-02 wheels with pin spike tyres on, if i'm using them on grass or compact dirt.
The HPI Wheelie Kings and Pro-line Street Hawgs were just for doing some car-park racing about a month ago.

Anyhow, i like this setup but i was recently thinking about getting an on-road car for more racing purposes as opposed to bashing and jumping. But then i thought about what the surrounding area was like around me, and considering we dont have alot of hard road surface here (tends to be more dirt/concrete/short grassy fields), i was thinking that i should stick with an off-road buggy. The only problem is, now that me and a few friends have gotten better at racing our cars (all DF-02 Rising Storms) we're looking for a bit more of a 'racey' feeling buggy.

Don't get me wrong, the DF-02 is great with durability in mind, and with a good gearing setup and brushless ESC, i've heard they're pretty fast. But i'm looking more towards the 4WD belt driven chassis such as the DB-01 cars (the Baldre and Durga).
This is only because i have heard that they provide a bit more of a racing style as opposed to bashing around.

I really want to stick with Buggies, due to the ground clearance and the 'go anywhere you like' approach that on-road cars dont have.

So what i'm basically asking here is, what type of buggy chassis would give me great off-road ability, as well as the possibility of getting a good speed out of it? (40mph+ would be great).

Mention any chassis kits, Motor and ESC combo's, and battery packs that you think would help achieve this. I'm open to all opinions!

Cheers again for reading my ramblings.
Stampers...