Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A good 1/10 Racing Buggy chassis [ELECTRIC]...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Stampers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good 1/10 Racing Buggy chassis [ELECTRIC]...

Hello all!

Ok, well as you can all see, im quite new to the RC'ing scene so dont flame me or assume "here's another newbie who doesnt know what he's on about". Because frankly i dont really know much. I have been doing a little research, but not enough to the standards that most of you guys know. Hence why im asking for opinions!

Anyway, down to the jist of this...

Here's what im currently running...

Chassis - Tamiya Rising Storm DF-02
Motor - Mabuchi RS540-SH (standard kit motor)
ESC - Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC
Radio - ACOMS Techniplus AR-2 27mhz 2 Channel on band 3
Batteries - Venom Ni-Cad 1800 7.2v
Wheels - HPI Wheelie Kings 2.2"
Tyres - Pro-Line Street Hawgs 2.2"
No Hop-ups at all. All standard kit other than wheels and tyres.

I alternate the wheels every now and then to the standard DF-02 wheels with pin spike tyres on, if i'm using them on grass or compact dirt.
The HPI Wheelie Kings and Pro-line Street Hawgs were just for doing some car-park racing about a month ago.

Anyhow, i like this setup but i was recently thinking about getting an on-road car for more racing purposes as opposed to bashing and jumping. But then i thought about what the surrounding area was like around me, and considering we dont have alot of hard road surface here (tends to be more dirt/concrete/short grassy fields), i was thinking that i should stick with an off-road buggy. The only problem is, now that me and a few friends have gotten better at racing our cars (all DF-02 Rising Storms) we're looking for a bit more of a 'racey' feeling buggy.

Don't get me wrong, the DF-02 is great with durability in mind, and with a good gearing setup and brushless ESC, i've heard they're pretty fast. But i'm looking more towards the 4WD belt driven chassis such as the DB-01 cars (the Baldre and Durga).
This is only because i have heard that they provide a bit more of a racing style as opposed to bashing around.

I really want to stick with Buggies, due to the ground clearance and the 'go anywhere you like' approach that on-road cars dont have.

So what i'm basically asking here is, what type of buggy chassis would give me great off-road ability, as well as the possibility of getting a good speed out of it? (40mph+ would be great).

Mention any chassis kits, Motor and ESC combo's, and battery packs that you think would help achieve this. I'm open to all opinions!

Cheers again for reading my ramblings.
Stampers...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: A good 1/10 Racing Buggy chassis [ELECTRIC]...

For racing you want to look at Team Associated B4 and Losi XXX-CR . For esc and motors really depends on a few things . Are you going to race in stock , 19T or mod class ? I suggest going to your track and see what classes are running . Also check the hobby shop for parts support , which shouldn`t be a problem for the two buggies mentioned . Do you want to run brushed or brushless ? Brushless is a bit faster , less to maintain , and more efficient [more run time] . For batteries , that is up to you . If you don`t have a bunch of nimh from running your other buggy I`d seriously look into lipo batts . IMO Orion are really good and pretty cheap form Stormer Hobbies .
Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Druss

The Durga would race fine with the ones mentioned above. I have one with a mamba brushless system (not legal) and it's great. I defninitely suggest getting a brushless if you want to race in that category.

The Durga has the suspension of the TRF501X, that means it has 4 positions for the shocks to mount to, full camber and other adjustments... etc. The only thing you need if you race brushless is the slipper clutch.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Stampers

As far as i know, the Team Associated B4 and Losi XXX-CR are both 2WD (i think), and im kinda looking for a 4WD.

I'm not going to be racing straight away, as there aren't really many clubs/tracks around where i live.
When i used the term racing, i meant with friends, and the suggestions i'm looking for are for all 5 of us (me and my friends) to possibly get.
We just tend to either go to the local supermarket car-park when its closed and race around there, and then take them up to the local playing field that has some dirt jumps, gravel areas, and concrete basketball courts.

I do want the possibility of racing in the near future, but for the time being i'm quite happy with not worrying what class i will be racing in (if i do get to that stage at all!)

My local Hobby Store are official Tamiya dealers, therefore it would be easier for me if the car was a Tamiya.

I went in the other day, and saw they had a Carson Brushless Dragster ESC and motor (12T and 10T). Anyone know if they're any good?
Although these systems are sensorless. are sensored better?
This would be handy as they are official Carson stockists too.
All i really want out of the brushless system is good accel and a nice top speed. Like i said, im not too fussed abou making sure i can enter the right class at the nearest track.

Lipo batts are definately on the list of what to get, as i've heard they help loads more than Ni-Mh.

But yeah, i think im leaning towards the Durga as i've heard the stock version is really good. I'll be eventually putting some hop-ups in too.

Cheers for the help so far, and keep the comments flowing!
Stampers...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
jmcvicker

Step #1 - batteries

>> Batteries - Venom Ni-Cad 1800 7.2v

Bleh - not good for today's technology. Look into non-Venom NiMH batteries such as anything at 4000 or higher. You can run them harder and get better performance out of your current car. You need new batteries anyway for racing (I doubt 1800 would hold up for a 6-minute race). So, consider a local vendor there in the UK who could sell you something in the 3800-4600 mAh NiMH range. Does your charger charge-up the NiMH chemistry too? If so, go get a battery and then start thinking of other hardware after that one mod.

With the new battery, consider upping your pinion size by 1 or 2. (go from say 20 to 21 or 22) and see how the car performs and how hot things get (watch your esc and motor heat). If good, then your performance has just gotten better for a reasonable price. If not - then you'd use the new battery for the new car you end up with.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

DB-01 durga?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Druss

The Durga would race fine with the ones mentioned above. I have one with a mamba brushless system (not legal) and it's great. I defninitely suggest getting a brushless if you want to race in that category.

The Durga has the suspension of the TRF501X, that means it has 4 positions for the shocks to mount to, full camber and other adjustments... etc. The only thing you need if you race brushless is the slipper clutch.
Im not sure about this but I dont think the Durga uses the TRF shocks. I dont see why Tamiya would put super smooth $80 shocks on a buggy for $200. Doesnt make sense. [&:]
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Druss

Im not sure about this but I dont think the Durga uses the TRF shocks. I dont see why Tamiya would put super smooth $80 shocks on a buggy for $200. Doesnt make sense. [&:]

He is not talking about the shocks , it has Four wheel independent double wishbone with same configuration as the Tamiya TRF501X chassis
Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Druss

ya, the configuration is the same, as in the set up and positions but the shocks are not the TRF aluminum ones. With the configuration you have as many options for tunability but the shocks are plastic.

The one upgrade that is needed for running brushless is the slipper clutch, everything else is good stock but good upgrades are aluminum shocks, aluminum steering, universals.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Stampers

ORIGINAL: jmcvicker

Step #1 - batteries

>> Batteries - Venom Ni-Cad 1800 7.2v

Bleh - not good for today's technology. Look into non-Venom NiMH batteries such as anything at 4000 or higher. You can run them harder and get better performance out of your current car. You need new batteries anyway for racing (I doubt 1800 would hold up for a 6-minute race). So, consider a local vendor there in the UK who could sell you something in the 3800-4600 mAh NiMH range. Does your charger charge-up the NiMH chemistry too? If so, go get a battery and then start thinking of other hardware after that one mod.

With the new battery, consider upping your pinion size by 1 or 2. (go from say 20 to 21 or 22) and see how the car performs and how hot things get (watch your esc and motor heat). If good, then your performance has just gotten better for a reasonable price. If not - then you'd use the new battery for the new car you end up with.
Whoops, my bad. I meant to say that ist a Venom 1800 Ni-Mh 7.2. It runs on the car for about 20 mins before dying.
But yeah, the local hobby store has some 4600 and 5000 Ni-Mh batts (£30 to £55 - sorry, im English and not too good with currency converting) so i'll grab a couple of them first.

And with the suspension that Druss meant, was that the shocks on the Durga are still plastic, it just uses the same mounting as the TRF501X, same as what Dawman mentioned.
This is one of the reasons i am leaning towards this car. I will eventually get some hop-ups on it (alu shocks, steering components, etc), just after i have got the ESC and motor sorted out.

So far, i am looking at this setup...

Chassis - DB-01 Durga
Batteries - 2 x Orion Rocket Stick Pack 5100 Ni-Mh 7.2
Radio gear - Might use the same ACOMS gear that i currently have in the DF-02
Motor - ???
ESC - ???
**As it has already been mentioned, i will need to get hold of a slipper clutch, so add that on the list... **

But what about Motor and ESC? Druss has mentioned Mamba Brushless system.
What about the Carson Brushless Dragster combo (12T or 10T), or the Losi Xcelorin S brushless combo (3.5T, 4.5T, 6.5T, 10.5T, 13.5T)?
Anyone know if these are good? and what amount of turns do you think would be suitable?

Sorry for all the questions, i jus dont want to get the wrong stuff and then have to fork out another load of cash to recorrect the situation...

Thanks for all the help so far!
Stampers...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Sidewinder 5700 is what I would choose for my durga but if you can afford it mamba max.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Druss

I've never heard of the Carson before but if you want some of the best combos then Novak is the way to go. Xceleron are ok too, i've got the SS5800 system. LRP sphere system, mamba system... etc.