RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help with building a GP Big Stik 40 w/ OS .55 AX
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with building a GP Big Stik 40 w/ OS .55 AX

Hi all !

Well I received the Stik 40 today and looking at it I found some interesting appointments. Where everyone has been guiding me to put triangular wood stock along both the inside of the firewall and along the bottom inside where the main gear attach, I found that they came already installed !?? Has anyone recently received a Stik 40 and found that GP has fixed these weak, error-prone areas? Should I accept these mods/additions by GP as the final fix or should I put even more strength behind the firewall (as they did not apply triangular wood stock to all sides), as well as same with area over main gear ( 2 of 4 walls have triangular wood stcok, )?

Also, Ed Moorman, THANK YOU SO MUCH, as they say, a picture is worth... They really helped me visualize some of the additions/mods I want to do, as well as show me things I did not plan, such as the stab-to-rudder wire supports (2-56 tail braces) you have added which both look great and I am sure help the structure when under stress. Thanks ! Great stuff. I also am planning on putting the engine on sideways, as you have done/shown, and didn't even consider how I would I support the throttle cable, which you have so aptly described and shown.... Really, thanks a bunch ! And yes, the anhedral wing will not go with my level of experience too well, lol.. but it is a nice touch and I am sure wrings out more performance in the areas you mention (knife and point rolls).

Again, thanks for the info and pics.. any other recommendations from anyone, please feel free to enter them here, as I start my build tonight and will be on it until completion, which I hope will be in 3 or 4 weeks, given my time schedule. Problem then will be the weather and possible snow to contend with, but hey, that's what living in Boston area is all about...lol...

Take care all, and again thank you for your ideas/tips and help. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Don