RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need more power!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 05:57 PM
darthdrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power!

Mini boy, Come on, your kinda stretching it a tad bit. What about the cost of a good charger. Six years ago, were there the brushless motors of today and were the battery packs having the same punch they are having today. Besides that, theres something about the fresh aromatic smell of nitro drifting across the flying field. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... Im hearing more and more people having problems with electrics than with the gassers. I would like to do an electric and is in the process but Ill never surrender my little gas putters. Ok, heres what I come up with. (4) decent 2400-2600 batteries $40.00 each x 4
$160.00 a desent charger $100.00 .total so far $260.00 . A decent good brushless motor esc combo $140.00-$160.00. So far about $420.00. Ok My flying habits: 3 gallons of fuel per year and rough est; $15.00 a gallon $45.00 In ten years that would bring my fuel costs up to $450.00. OK lets go with six years:$270.00 and lets say in six years a new piston and sleeve every two years at $20.00 thats $60.00 . Thats $330.00 bucks. Forget the piston and sleeve and get the Vmax7 upgrade that brings a total operating cost for me in a six year period to $360.00 bucks. Ok Paper towel and windex $30.00 bucks(Thats alot of windex and paper towels). $390.00. Plus for gas and electric heli maintenance its not including any of the other stuff like parts replacements which should roughly be the same. Except the Corona guys on average go through more blades and booms .
I do have two reserve reciever packs so, I can fly for about an hour per pack before needing to replace the reciever pack, Working on a backup pack for xmitter or quick field charger. I know when the "bricks" begin to run out of juice they slowly loose their lifting power so you guys shouldnt be having to much of a crashing episode with them (except for all the glitching i hear about, and then "Look out below"! We Gas guys have to monitor our fuel consumption cause when its all gone Aint not such thing as an Autorotation with an LMH. Had a mechanical failure once about 40 feet up. My heli dropped. Only thing was some bent landing gear. If I had a "flying brick", Im sure the battery would have became dislodged and went through my heli body thus destroying it. Probably would have bent more than landing gear and I would have had to retrieve a shovel to dig it out the creater it would have left on impact . Like I said in an earlier thread, Im really looking forward to giving the electric a try. Gas vs Electric will probably always be a "Ford vs Chevy" type of competition, But its fun isnt it ?