RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mini Buyers Guide
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Metallover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Buyers Guide

I personally think lipo safety isn't a big issue. As long as you are careful when charging them you probably won't have a problem. The Apogee packs have a slightly different chemistry then lipo and are supposed to be safer. I have used both that and a regular lipo and I have never had any issues. My apogee pack as ejected during 40mph flipping and it was just fine. If you are concerned about safety, the apogee 1500mah would probably be the best pack for you. A 3s lipo will be more expensive then a 2s lipo, so keep that in mind. A general guideline for 18th scale lipos is about $16/cell.

I don't have a lipo bag. If you keep an eye on the battery when you are charging it then you will be fine. The pack will puff up very large before it catches on fire. You can find a video on youtube and it should give you a good indication of how long it will take and what to look for in a lipo if it is about to explode.

A 2s system is cheaper. I could rant on forever but basically a 3s system and lower kv will be more efficient then a 2s system with a high kv. I say a good system has a big motor like a 370 size for lots of torque. If you combine that will either high kv and 2s or low kv and 3s it will be fast. In general, most motors will be safe up to about 50,000 rpm and most will last to 60,000+. You just multiply the kv by the voltage to get that.

I have a 2s setup. It is a Neu 1107 8500kv motor with a 1/10th cc sidewinder esc and 2s 1600mah flightpower battery. The motor draws a whole lot of amps so I need the 1/10th esc and high quality battery like the flightpower/apogee.