RCU Forums - View Single Post - the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM
qldviking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider

I too started with a R/E soarer, but it had been modded with a cobalt 50 in the nose. was a great thermal glider all the same, and running a 1000mah 10cell I could get 3 good climbs and about 2 hrs soaring/thermalling. The longest flight I had was nearly 5 hours from 1 motor run to about 300 feet, it didnt matter where I turned that day I found the up elevator. That little glider introduced me to the joys of gliding and I think I still enjoy flying gliders most today.
I got my first taste of gliding while I was still learning with my trainer, My instructor told me to come and hand launch for him and then after 10 mins he passed me the tx without a word, so there I was first time with a glider, knees all wobbly, jaw on the deck, but I really enjoyed it, and when he offered to sell it to me the following day I bought it with a big grin, and had it in the air 30 min later after a battery charge and a full once over.
I now have 3 gliders 2.5m to 3m, I recently lost my fave tho [&o] that was an older 174"ws R/E thermal glider. that glider was the most relaxing of all my gliders, it would literally just float in the air and working the breeze (10-15 kn)you could get her to climb too. Landings could be a handful tho, it would just float along and you had to pretty well stall it hard to drop it on the deck.
I have a number of different aircraft in my hangar, and swap, buy and sell all the time but I will never be without at 2 gliders
I am now looking for plans/kit for a similar size glider (4.5m ws)