RCU Forums - View Single Post - DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

ORIGINAL: skylab

Also forgot to mention to the people who have the older kits and still have not yet put them together, you
can download the new revised manual at:
http://www.diamonddustrc.com/Diamond...KIT_Manual.pdf

This manual will serve you better than the original. It has more pictures and details, and should simplify
as well as speed up the assembly process.

Thanks again,

DDust Team
Hi Guys,

I wanted to point out one small thing that I spotted, having recently checked this out. You show the fuel tank installation using one of those hook-and-loop Velcro handy ties. Those things are great, and I used them like that for tanks and batteries ever since I found them at our local hardware.

My experience with them tells me it is important that you bond the loop side down, not the hook side. Loop side = fuzzy, hook side = plastic feel. The hook side is typically nylon which has zero surface energy for bonding with any of the adhesives we use, and the tapered filaments making up the hooks pull out of the adhesive quite easily. However, the loop side contains a bazillion closed loops of polyester (typically). While polyester is not a high surface energy plastic, the matrix of closed loops seem to form a firm mechanical bond with the adhesive - a variation on the hook-and-loop idea I guess - loop-and-goo perhaps?

I typically use 5-minute epoxy for this job, applying it to the hook material and the wood before smoothing it in place. Then I put a scrap of covering backing plastic over that and weight it down for 15 minutes or so. My feeling is that epoxy will make a tougher bond, but I imagine CA gets a good hold of it too - I just haven't used it for that purpose.

I'm not a DD owner (yet) so I did not read the whole manual to see if you mentioned that somewhere else but I figured it would be in that section if so.

Just my $0.02 offering!

Cheers,

Mike D.