RCU Forums - View Single Post - Axe cx micro.....Spinning??
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
DoctorS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Axe cx micro.....Spinning??

Hey Defalkner;

What I think may have happened is the binding might have caused that particular motor to wear out more or faster than the other motor. After flying it for two months, my CX2 began to make a high pitch whine. I lubed it up lightly with dry teflon super lube. The noise went away, but the bird began to yaw to the right. Eventually the motor got so weak, I had the proportional control tuned all the way to help the weaker motor, that the bird wanted to yaw really fast to the right. Then, while trying to compensate for the right hand yaw because I had the gyro turned up quite a bit, the bird would suddenly spin back to the left. I think the gyro was trying to control the yaw by throwing extra voltage to the weak motor and less voltage to the stronger. The last day I flew it stock, the bird flew so erratic I set her down for safety as it was so un-controllable.

The binding wasn't really noticeable or that severe, but I did find it on tear down. I replaced that particular bearing, and installed the new motors. I also made sure I didn't set the outer shaft lock collar too tightly against the upper outer shaft bearing, as I noticed when I did, it would increase the spin resistance. I re-assembled it with about .001" of play. I reset both the gryo control and the proportional control to their midpoints. Took it out for a test flight and it was flying like new. (I too thought I may have had a bad 3-n-1 and was going to replace it if the new motors and bearing didn't fix the bird.) I did however perform the 'cooling' mod to the plastic housing of the 3-n-1 by drillling many 1/8" holes into it during the tear down / rebuild. The CX2's are known for yaw drift when the 3-n-1 heats up.

DrS