Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Axe cx micro.....Spinning??

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe cx micro.....Spinning??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
RedBaja
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe cx micro.....Spinning??

Hey I have a Axe CX micro and I have the tail trim adjusted all the way and I still get tail spin on it. I have to constantly hold the tail while flying it to keep it straight. Is there a gyro adjustment on it. The board has what looks like to adjustments but the manual doesnt say anything about it. PLEASE HELP...thanks

Rich
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Axe cx micro.....Spinning??

I can't believe the manual has nothing to say about it. Helimax really blew it here. I don't have one, so I'm only going by what I know from my Axe CP. The adjustments on your gyro-esc-mixer are there to fix the problem you are experiencing. Which one does what and how much or even which way to turn them is a mystery. I'd say mark them where they are now and try adjusting one or the other. If its better, great, if not, go back to the original setting. That's what I did on the Axe CP and eventually it flew great. The Axe had three screws. The top was bias and it balanced out how quickly the heli would ratate left or right to get them the same so you wouldn't use little amounts one way and lots of stick the other. The middle screw was the gyro setting and it basically stopped the tail from wagging back and forth if the gain was set too high. Finally, the bottom screw was the trim adjustment. This is the one you need to find. It was used if the trim on the transmitter was all the way over and the heli still would rotate. Basically, it allowed getting the heli to hover without rotating and having a centered trim on the transmitter.

Good luck and post what you find here so others can learn from your experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
ea77

I just got this I have the same problem. I lift off and the tail starts to wag and want to spin. I have to hold the tail to keep it going straight. I have a small space and you can only do so much before you have to back the throttle down before colliding into something.

Frustrating, I think the person at the store who tested this out, had enough skills to do the corrections in flight. It doesn't want to hover properly out of the box. I need to do some gyro correction tonight...

BTW, I just took the body off. I see two silver pots at the bottom right corner. Has anyone tried adjusting them?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM
RedBaja

UPDATE:

So check it out I call Helimax and explain to them the problem, The tech I spoke to didn't even know that the to silver pots were for. So he says to me since I'm having that problem he will send me a new Control Board....

Wait it gets better, So I revieve the Board yesterday and install it. I go to spin her up and only one blade is rotating but not the other...So i check the connections on the Board and when Remving the motor wire one of the Prongs are still in the connector...HAH go figure....SO now I have to have them ship me out another one...

So far there not looking so good in my book....

I hope some of you other guys aren't have this problems... I like the Heli but I'm thinking I should've went with a MCX.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
PilotLight

Can't you just solder it back on?

How about the old board, did you try adjusting either pot?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 PM
RedBaja

The pin that came out is in a plastic base so no chance for a resolder... and the to pods as far as that goes I did try to adjust them but got no where with it. Matter of fact it made the heli worst..

I guess it's back to calling Helimax and letting them know the problem on monday

ORIGINAL: PilotLight

Can't you just solder it back on?

How about the old board, did you try adjusting either pot?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
HAMMER JR.

BUY A BLADE MCX IVE HAVE TRIED TO CRASH JUST TO SO WHAT I COULD BRAKE ITS A TANK AND FLYS HAND OFF
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
motodude11

FIRST OF ALL TURN OFF YOUR CAP LOCKS WHEN YOU POST[&:] Second my brother inlaw had an e-flight CP-pro and all it ever was a headache so he sold it, after his experience with e-flight i went with the helimax CP-L (competition to the CP-pro) and i have never had an issue. As for the Helimax Axe micro i am getting one for christmas so i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 AM
defalkner

Ill say this much - it's a good heli for beginners who want to progress into something better eveuntaly. This is a heli that handles very well normally. I own 2. I was so happy with my 1st one I got another so a firend could fly with me and have so many spare parts I could build a 3rd lol. So dont get discourged too quickly. There not as fast as some others, but the handling is very good after you have a day or two to practice. *Never EVER fly the CX Micro in even mild wind, or higher than 60'. You will loose it. I took mine to about 150' once and the wind took over from there, even after throttling down it was blowing away. oops but thats another story...*

Your Main Board: "E-Board" P.N.: HMXM2010
The TOP 'pot' is your <SCALE>
the BOTTOM 'pot' is your <SENS>

I haven't needed to do any adjusting yet, but I would set your Controller to dead center on all 4 adjusters, take a SHARPIE and mark off your SENS to its current position on the E-BOARD on the heli max. Then, make 1/4 rotation increments and fire up the heli, and barely take off. See if it corrects it more or makes it worse (I dont know which way yours is rotating but use your imagination). If its spinning out faster, or only ONE of the blades is spinning, then turn the SENS the other way 1/4 turn past dead center from which you originally had it. The reason why one of the blades will turn is that the EBOARD can tell that; if your turning SO HARD in a single direction, it kills the power to the counter-rotating blades that normally correct it. Dont worry about this now - your heli is currently 'excesivally' tuned.

Now my info might not be 100% but I am relaying what a friend is telling me on the matter. My newest HeliMAX CX Micro is "twitching" in mid-air and I think it might be an antenna, or tuning issue as well. Good Luck. P.S. Make sure your blades are balanced and check your swashplate (p.m.: HMXE8523) for excessive movement. This would cause the tail wagging problem but not necesarally spinning.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
DoctorS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an Axe micro, but I do own a CX2 and experienced the same problem after two months of flying it. I basically wore out the motors, where one motor had more torque than the other. I had the proportional control balanced out against the strongest motor, but the bird still yawed to the right and you had to fly the tail. I replaced the motors and found some binding in the outer shaft. When both items were taken care of, I reset the proportional to the center, and the bird flew better than when new.

DrS
Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
defalkner

Question - Do you think the problem was the result of the binding rather than the motors then?

My newest CX Micro is yawing, causing it to 'helix' in small circles with the noise pointing in the same direction (what got me looking at this post to begin with). Its also shuddering now. The Eboard is able to 'sense' when the heli is spinning in one, or another direction too much, and corrects by adjusting the torque of the motors (basically 'acts' like a gyro sorta). I noticed adjusting my SENS pot had a direct affect on this. By turning to the 'RIGHT' (clockwise) it reduced the tail wag and shuddering but had a negative affect on how the heli lifted (it had weaker response, the heli also started to spin clockwise). Turning the SENS pot to the 'LEFT' (counterclockwise), dramatically caused the lower rudders to shudder but I had a dramatic increase in throttle, and how fast I could spin. The factory default seems to be the correct spot. The other issue I just started having (I have had my new one for less than a week), is 'GLITCHING'. Weird iradic sudden spins left or right while in flight. Hmmm.... I think I might be victim now of a defective E-BOARD. LOL Ahh...

Luckily I bought several spare parts and listening to what you said DOCTORS I think your on to something - it could be something as small and simple as binding. I did take the inner shaft out already and noticed it was a bit loose, but it was well within working spec. Also checked balance of the stabilizer bar. Hmm... I might swap a few things out to see if it runs smoother.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
DoctorS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Defalkner;

What I think may have happened is the binding might have caused that particular motor to wear out more or faster than the other motor. After flying it for two months, my CX2 began to make a high pitch whine. I lubed it up lightly with dry teflon super lube. The noise went away, but the bird began to yaw to the right. Eventually the motor got so weak, I had the proportional control tuned all the way to help the weaker motor, that the bird wanted to yaw really fast to the right. Then, while trying to compensate for the right hand yaw because I had the gyro turned up quite a bit, the bird would suddenly spin back to the left. I think the gyro was trying to control the yaw by throwing extra voltage to the weak motor and less voltage to the stronger. The last day I flew it stock, the bird flew so erratic I set her down for safety as it was so un-controllable.

The binding wasn't really noticeable or that severe, but I did find it on tear down. I replaced that particular bearing, and installed the new motors. I also made sure I didn't set the outer shaft lock collar too tightly against the upper outer shaft bearing, as I noticed when I did, it would increase the spin resistance. I re-assembled it with about .001" of play. I reset both the gryo control and the proportional control to their midpoints. Took it out for a test flight and it was flying like new. (I too thought I may have had a bad 3-n-1 and was going to replace it if the new motors and bearing didn't fix the bird.) I did however perform the 'cooling' mod to the plastic housing of the 3-n-1 by drillling many 1/8" holes into it during the tear down / rebuild. The CX2's are known for yaw drift when the 3-n-1 heats up.

DrS
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
mdreading

ORIGINAL: defalkner
My newest CX Micro is yawing, causing it to 'helix' in small circles with the noise pointing in the same direction
My CX is doing the exact same thing. I can compensate for it a bit with the controls, but it makes it very difficult to fly. defalkner, did adjusting the pots improve the yawing/helix problem?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
defalkner

ok this was interesting because adjusting it (the pots) did no more than a 5% increase in control - barely noticeable. The factory settings were actually dead on. I hate that damn vibration as im taking off, but it goes away after a second. I found out that it's the internal gyros. Yeah the AXE CX has gyro sen sensitivity. Make sure your battery is charged cos itll fly funky if its 25% or lower. Also - if your like me and have GLUED the props - this might throw it off a little and the heli will compensate because of the uneven weight or syntripcal force irregularities. It seems that the props; if the weight is slightly off that the heli will fly funky.

I fly my AXE CX Micro HARD and its driving me NUTS but hte props are breaking in MID AIR. No crashing. I had a friend watch and the props are flexing and inverting so hard that both props literally HIT each other! > So if your like me - try NOT to spin the heli hard and have it deliberately HELIX (right control, pushing left or right hard while pushing left or right on the right spin controls on the LEFT hand hard).

To answer your question though - its sometimes flys great - and it sometimes flys like its possessed. I dunno anymore with it. Im going to fly it a few more months and then maybe upgrade to something I can push a little harder now that I don't crash anymore.

P.S.

Its a BAD IDEA to chase your friends with this when its close to THEIR FACE. -tip!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
aviateac

The helli is not too bad. Pull off the silly canopy and adjust the small screw to the far front (silver flat head screw). Adjust it accordingly and it should pretty much hover like a good heli. Keep in mind that helis do drift and as the battery looses charge, it may rotate slightly to one or the other side. You might have to adjust the servo linkage to keep it from drifting foward or whatever the case may be. Over all not too shabby.

Coaxles are funny at times. Having to trim them is not uncommon unfortunatly.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
defalkner

I found a video answer to your problem with spinning!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1Qfaux3Kk

Here is a video that shows how to adjust the Trim and Gain controls and what they mean.

-ENJOY!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Scott CW

Thnks so much for the lead on the youtube video. Really opened the door to setting it up the way I want it!.
I like the cx because it's a really good transition into the blade 400 pro which I am slowly starting to fly.
When the 400 gets my panties in a bunch (and my fingers start to tremble), I come back to the cx micro to rebuild my confidence :-)
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Scott CW

if someone would produce carbonfiber blades, they would be far less flexible than these inexpensive stock blades and then they probably would not collide with each other in mid-air. I've had that happen to me once, but only once so far.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
BS-AV8TOR

same here i have been flying my axe cx micro for a month now, and have modified the stew out of it. and have just recently got a blade 400. huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25031.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1186138  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
cabobill

does anyone know which trim tabs trim what?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
grape

Yes, very simple. Okay , so looking at your transmitter the first thing you always have to do is make sure that the trim bar that is just to the right of the left stick (throttle) is all the way down. I'm not sure exactly why this is but it has something to do with you need to start at zero or -1 (whichever it is I forget) but that's one thing that never changes for the axe cx micro. Okay, beneath the the throttle (left stick) you'll see anothet trim bar and it's horizontal (unlike the the other one I just told you about that goes up and down)... So this trim that's right underneath your left stick that goes left or right is for trimming which way your helicopter will spin (left or right).... So, when you take off the ground and try to keep your heli at let's say a 5 or 6 foot hover see if the heli is turning left or right by itself without you doing anything. If it's turning to the right then move the trim to the left and vice versa. It may take you a sec or two to get this down and possibly even a couple of flights to get it perfect.

Okay, now we're moving to the right stick on the transmitter. The trim to the laft of the stick that goes up and down is the trim that helps you stabilize your heli from going either forward or backward on it's own. If when you take off it tries to go forward then just move the trim down some untill you have it just right. Same goes if when u take off it's going backwards on it's own then move the trim up to adjust it perfectly so that it hovers just right without going forwards or backwards on it's own. Sometimes it's hard to get it exacly perfect but you should be able to get it real close. Now, the trim underneath the right stick is for stabilizing the heli from strafing to the left or to the right on it's own. When you start to take off and let's say you can tell it's immediately strafing to the right then slide that trim over to the left. If you go too far and now the heli starts strafing to the right then just trim it back to the left some and keep doing this until you get it right. Usually, it takes me all of about a min or two to get all of these trims as perfect as I can get them.

Hope that helps,
grape
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 AM
grape

Wait a min..... were you talking about the adjustments on the transmitter or those screw adjustments on the board? Lol, I may have misread your question and well......
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
CarGuy7a

This thread is from 2008. Cabobill's post was from 3 months ago.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
grape

Wow, you know what?  I'm having difficulty understanding how the forum works exactly.  What'll happen is I'll post something and when I come back the next day to see if there were any replies I keep forgetting exactly where  i POSTED IT...... I've probably lost 5 or 6 different msg responses due to this.......  Can you please help me out with this and tell me when I log back on how to check where I posted my last posts and where to find replies if there are any? 

Now I'm gonna write this one down so I'll remember tomorrow (axe cx micro spinning).

Oh, and also at the end of every post I make I always check the box that says 'notify me via e-mail when someone replies' but that's never worked!  I know this because you actually replied to my earlier post about my transmitter probs with my micro and you see I knew exactly where to find that post but even though you posted back there was no notification in my e-mail.