RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth
Old 12-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Ben, congratulations with you birthday.
This subject I did start in the Ed Kazmirski Taurus. Somewhere around the post 424 on page 17 date 8 – 8 – 2008, to explain the design of the Taurus.
I repeat my post 452.page 19

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

Ray,

I did you explain some differences between Orion and Taurus why you simple cannot step from Orion to Taurus.
It is educative to show when you want to use the Orion inverted for acrobatics
Maybe you all know this, but I use your question for some education!!
And maybe I did not understand your question ?

Ray,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>
It is interesting to me as it shows a stage in how the Orion and then the Taurus came about.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

We all remember it is a 100% taildragger!! So not a tricycle plane with tailgear as you see often now.

When the angle of attack of a surface is more than 8 degrees, than you can expect turbulence.
I think the big problem is the bottomside of the fuse of the Orion (LET ME EXPLAIN LATER WHY I THINK THE TAURUSSUS OF ED AND LES ARE THE TOP FOR THAT MOMENT}

In the drawing I did draw the flightpad of the Orion inverted.
NACA 2419 is a a-symmetrical airfoil so the effective angle of attack is about the difference between the blue and red line (Ask me when you do not understand this!) to get enough lift.

The angle of attack of the bottomside of the fuselage is about 15 degrees on this moment now.
So a big airflow wiil go around the fuselage (from near cockpit position) and give a lot of turbulences and so drag. I did sign with blue paint!

So, when you do not change the angles of wings and stab and tailside of the fuselage when you mount a tricycle gear, the Orion you will never can use for good acrobat/slow roll/upside down/ atc.

When you do all change this, you automaticly see the MAN Magazine Taurus in only one transformation step

BTW, the Orion has a "high" thrustline of the motor, this can be a positive element because of the high drag of the wings inverted, so you will not directly stall the stab with extreme elevator "down"angles.

In the whole story you may not forget the less power they have in that period, so the angles of attack and so drag factors were high.

This is my experience with the Orion so, reponse please when I tell you something wrong, or it is not clear!!

I still wait for my picture so I have time left!!

Cees
'

So Ben, what you write in your post is nearly the same I started in the past I think and is the reason Ed did have to do something to stay on the top in Belgium.

I repeat the most important part of your post:
>>
The outside maneuver might be just as round in space but it would look totally awkward because of the fuselage angle and not get high scores from the judges.
>>

So Ed never could win with the Orion, he did know, You know and I know.
(Do not forget the loose of speed, 0,45 engine 69 " span!)

Only there was one very big question for me, nobody else did ask. That is the reason I did note in this post:

(LET ME EXPLAIN LATER WHY I THINK THE TAURUSSUS OF ED AND LES ARE THE TOP FOR THAT MOMENT}

And that's the reason I did start this thread. Read post 1 again.

Cees

The picture is from the old post and I did not have better info to make it better!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30771.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1094877