RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into it
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 AM
rzorro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into it

In the late '70s I built and flew a Marks Models Windward as well as an Airtronics Aquila. Both birds are long gone as well as the equipment. Been searching the local hobby shops for something fun to build but have found nothing but ready to fly kits.

Came accross Skybench Aerotech. Looks like they are remanufacturing several of the old kits. After 30+ years I am sure my flying skills are gone unless it is alot like riding a bike. I guess, therefore, I would be most interested in a foregiving flyer. I live in California and intend to primarily slope soar as I did back in the day. I thouroughly enjoyed building the Aquila (with spoilers) so I am not adverse to a techinical build. Would like to install an electric motor. I subscribe to the notion "go big or go home".

Skybench recommends the Olympic II. The Olympic III is bigger but it does not look as though it lends itself to a propeller. Skybench looks like it offers a number of other kits as well. I am looking for recommendations from forum members as to what kit, given the credentials that I cited above, might fit my flight and construction skill levels. My post later a recommendation for radios but am most interested in a recommendation for the sailplane at this time.