Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Getting back into it

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 AM
rzorro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into it

In the late '70s I built and flew a Marks Models Windward as well as an Airtronics Aquila. Both birds are long gone as well as the equipment. Been searching the local hobby shops for something fun to build but have found nothing but ready to fly kits.

Came accross Skybench Aerotech. Looks like they are remanufacturing several of the old kits. After 30+ years I am sure my flying skills are gone unless it is alot like riding a bike. I guess, therefore, I would be most interested in a foregiving flyer. I live in California and intend to primarily slope soar as I did back in the day. I thouroughly enjoyed building the Aquila (with spoilers) so I am not adverse to a techinical build. Would like to install an electric motor. I subscribe to the notion "go big or go home".

Skybench recommends the Olympic II. The Olympic III is bigger but it does not look as though it lends itself to a propeller. Skybench looks like it offers a number of other kits as well. I am looking for recommendations from forum members as to what kit, given the credentials that I cited above, might fit my flight and construction skill levels. My post later a recommendation for radios but am most interested in a recommendation for the sailplane at this time.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Getting back into it

Stevens Aero Helium 2MG http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972581

website: http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...2-p-19699.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881665

The other would be the DJ Aerotech Chrysalis 2 meter electric glider.
http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/chrysalis2m-e.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952140

Both are good. Matter of which one you like.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back to the hobby rzorro. Like you I was away from it for quite sometime and returned to it after moving to Georgia. I had to remember and or relearn a lot of my building and flying skills. The building skills were pretty much like riding a bike but the flying skills... Let's just say that's another story. Older eyes and reflexes should say enough.

Since I returned o the hobby I've been impressed by the advances in the radio gear but dismayed at the lack of full kits to be had. Seems that everywhere you look it's nothing but ARF planes. Building does seem to be coming back a little at a time though but the number of available kits isn't keeping up with it. You can often find some of the old kits on E-Bay or in the trader forums on sites like this and others.

As far as new kits go, Skybench is one of your best bets. Rays' kits are known for being some of the best ever released. All of the bird series can be converted to electric with little to no problem. I have only picked up one kit since I had several stashed away and am still trying to get through building all of them up before buying any more. Next up on my "must have" list is a Skybench Sky Bird. Also any of the Oly kits can have electrics added to them and are great flying planes. You might also want to consider the Viking models as well.

What part of California are you in? Until I moved out here to Georgia four years ago, I lived in San Diego and did a lot of my flying at Torry Pines. Maybe we flew together back in the day? I also did a lot of thermal and slope work up in the Ramona area. The forums are a great way to get back up to speed on the latest building tech as well as a way to find good places to fly and people to help you out if you run into problems.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2008, 06:44 PM
rzorro

Hi Jeff: I went to SDSU 1976 thru 1980. At that point in my life I found women to be far more interesting than sailplanes and they stayed in mothballs at my parents home in the Bay Area. Regardless, our paths might have crossed because naturally, hung out at Torrey Pines from time to time and of course, made the obligatory trek down the cliff to check out what was happening at Blacks Beach.

Appreciate the advice. Will look into the ships that you suggested. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 AM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Well we all know what was going on down on the beach. While you were at SDSU I was running around the world in the Army. One of the guys came down to SD with me and I had to introduce him to the beach. I think he's still in shock.

Glad to have been of help. I've gotten a lot of help from others on the forums since I returned to the hobby and it would be bad karma not to help out others if can.

BTW When you're ready for a new radio, get something that will cover ANY plane you can think of. Keeps you from having to upgrade again later. I had held onto my old radio gear but found it was no longer legal to use. I ended up getting a Futaba 6 channel, which is all the radio I'll ever need for my flying. Nice radio, good price and lots of different servos to choose from. Now I just need to get a couple more Rx units so I don't have to swap between planes.