RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
tessmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead

I'm a relative novice but have used both single channel and dual channel approaches to running dual aileron servos. While the "flaperon" function does allow you to move both ailerons in the same direction there are two things to consider: First, with narrow strip type ailerons the lift of the flaps is not much (at least on my Goldberg Tiger 2). Second, while you can increase throws for the flap function if you get too extreme there is a loss of aileron functionality while the flaperons are in use. Remember that the aileron still needs to function as an aileron!

There is one other possible "advantage" to a two channel setup. While I have not tried to set any differential function, having two separate subtrim and endpoint functions (one for each aileron) allows for easy and precise setup of the ailerons. With a "Y" both ailerons are controlled by single settings. Of the several ARFs I have experience with I have not seen one where everything was precise enough on it to allow exact "up" and "down" readings on a throw meter for both ailerons. Of course, part of that might be errors in my build (cutting control rods to exact lengths, play in connectors, etc.) but I also have never found that moving one tooth on the servo gear or using a different arm totally solved the problem.