Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Paulparkflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead

Hi guys

Another beginner question here,

I am about to install the radio gear into my Cub and am wondering whether I should run the aileron servos seperataly from the reciever or run them using the "Y" lead supplied,
A have a Spektrum DX6 system.

I have this thought in my head that if down the track I may be able to use flaps to help landing in small areas??

Im not sure why my model supplier gave me the "Y" lead unless he thought being a learner it would be more failsafe for controlling the ailerons,

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Aileron servos seperate or on "Y" lead

The Y harness only requires the use of one channel on your receiver. The Y harness is the best way to go for simplicity. By using 2 seperate servos connected to a Y harness you can also use your ailerons as flaps, if your radio is programed to do it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with DavidAgar. Keep is simple. The Y-harness is the easiest way to hook up your ailerons.

Ken
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, use the Y Harness.

It'll be a long time before you're ready for more advanced setups.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:56 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using dual aileron servos require somewhat advanced knowledge on how to set up your computer radio, if in fact you have a computer radio.

The basic design, using the Y connector will work for just about any radio that has four channels. As stated in the above replies, this will simply plug into the aileron slot on the RX and you are good to go from there. Make sure you center both servos electrically (meaning using your radio with the sticks in the neutral position) before connecting everything up (linkage).

If you are not sure how to mechanically center the servo arms here is a simple process:

When centered up electrically, the servo arm may NOT be perpendicular to the center of the servo. It may be off by a fraction, and this is an easy adjustment. Do this BEFORE attaching the linkage. First, center both the TX stick and the trim tabs. Then attach the servo to the RX slot to be used (aileron in this case). It (the servo) should rotate to the center. If the arm is not at center, simply remove it and rotate it to the next arm on the four arm servo. If it does not center up, go to the next one. One of the four will center up nicely. Tighten it up and go from there. Also use this method for centering up the other servos.

CGr
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
tessmar

I'm a relative novice but have used both single channel and dual channel approaches to running dual aileron servos. While the "flaperon" function does allow you to move both ailerons in the same direction there are two things to consider: First, with narrow strip type ailerons the lift of the flaps is not much (at least on my Goldberg Tiger 2). Second, while you can increase throws for the flap function if you get too extreme there is a loss of aileron functionality while the flaperons are in use. Remember that the aileron still needs to function as an aileron!

There is one other possible "advantage" to a two channel setup. While I have not tried to set any differential function, having two separate subtrim and endpoint functions (one for each aileron) allows for easy and precise setup of the ailerons. With a "Y" both ailerons are controlled by single settings. Of the several ARFs I have experience with I have not seen one where everything was precise enough on it to allow exact "up" and "down" readings on a throw meter for both ailerons. Of course, part of that might be errors in my build (cutting control rods to exact lengths, play in connectors, etc.) but I also have never found that moving one tooth on the servo gear or using a different arm totally solved the problem.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
CGRetired

Yup. Absolutely true.

CGr
Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Paulparkflyer

Thanks for all the excellent advice guys,
My radio is a computer style
I have been getting the feel for using flaperons on my simulator to aid in landing planes that are "floaters" like my cub.

At this stage I am thinking of starting with the "Y" harness to keep things simple for learning to fly my real model,
I will continue to get a better feel for using flaps on the simulator,
After all it is very easy to remove the "Y" adaptor and select another model program in the transmitter,
Thanks again,
Cheers Paul
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Gary L.

I use the " Y " and no problem...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 AM
CGRetired

Just be careful with flaperons. By definition, they will remove some authority from the ailerons at a time when you really need them. If it floats to much, think about the CG and consider adding a tad bit more nose weight, shift the battery forward a bit, or something to help with that tendency to float during landings.

I don't want to say that you should not use flaperons, but I would use them carefully, at least until you are fully confident of your landings with that plane and are aware of the shortcomings of using flaperons.

You may decide that if you really want flaps, you may want to set your plane up with separate flaps vs. flaperons.

CGr
Old 01-01-2009, 10:51 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have flaperons on my 4 Star 60. I am using a Y Harness. When I drop the flaps, the plane goes into a climb and depending on how fast I am going when I deploy them depends on how high and fast it climbs. As mentioned you will loose some aileron effectivness with the flaperons lowered. With the flaps lowered, you will need to watch your speed, so as to prevent a stall. Once you get your plane flying, take it up a few mistakes high and get a feel for what it is going to do with the flaps lowered. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
CGRetired

I have a Goldberg Wildstick 40 with flaps and ailerons (not flaperons). When I tested them at "three mistakes high" when I maiden'ed the thing. Well, I was at about half throttle and selected 'half' flaps. The thing did a somewhat tight loop.

I sped up a bit then added 'full' flaps. The thing did a loop pretty much in it's own length!! COOL!! ha.. I never used them for landing, that plane would land itself. I did use it for fun-fly's though..

CGr.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a H9 Ultra Stick 40 with flaps

The ailerons are on separate channels

The flaps are on the same channel with a "Y" harness and one servo is reversed internally.

I have down elevator programmed in with the flaps. The plane maintains its attitude when the flaps are applied
Old 01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

I have flaperons on my 4 Star 60. I am using a Y Harness. When I drop the flaps, the plane goes into a climb and depending on how fast I am going when I deploy them depends on how high and fast it climbs. As mentioned you will loose some aileron effectivness with the flaperons lowered. With the flaps lowered, you will need to watch your speed, so as to prevent a stall. Once you get your plane flying, take it up a few mistakes high and get a feel for what it is going to do with the flaps lowered. Good Luck, Dave
I set my 4 Star 60 up with flaperons so I could use the radio rather than a Y harness for the ailerons. Chose to do it that way just to learn how to set it up as much as any other reason.....don't really have anything against a Y......havent' been flying long enough to really develop an opinion one way or the other. I've got about 15 flights on the plane and have yet to activate the flaps themselves. It doesn't need 'em.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Insanemoondoggie

The Y harness is a good simple way to hook up 2 servo`s and most the time is all thats needed. I set several of my planes up with flaperons and really did`nt care for them much. Fun to plat around with , but did`nt see much improvement over landing with stock config.
On my old 4 stars , started adding spoilerons for landing . This helped a lot with the balloning effect just before touch down. but flaperons seem to just make it worse .